1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Abroad (NZ/AUS/CAN/USA) - All doors shut, and bolted?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrprimarymusic, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm a new primary teacher, with a PGCE and working towards a part time MA in Education. I've been doing a little bit of research regarding teaching anywhere else other than England and it appears to me that, specifically, NZ/AUS/CAN and USA are all shutting their doors on international primary teachers.

When I say this, I mean, removing them from the shortages lists, not recognising our degrees, qualifications and post grads.

Am I right, or am I just reading a lot of negativity? I knew it would be HARD, but I didn't think it would be impossible.

I was tempted to go to one of these expos (NZ Live) but I think it's quite pointless if they're not even letting teachers through the border currently.

Any advice?

Cheers,
    John

2. I think you could be right and that this has been happening in the UK as well for teachers coming from those countries here. That being said, the requirements to teach in Canada vary from province to province, so it's worth checking more than one.
    As for NZ Live, contact them and ask.

3. Thank you!

It certainly seems that countries are starting to look inward more now - which I suppose is good and bad!

4. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

Actually, i think it's quite the opposite. As of a couple of months ago teachers from those countries above can simply apply for UK QTS without taking any further certification / courses. I know, I've just applied and received UK QTS just by filling out a two page form and sending a 'proof of certification' form from Canada to the UK teaching Agency. It took four weeks and was free ;-) It just got way easier.
    In British Columbia you need five years of uni to teach. To be honest, getting certified in Canada is the least of your worries. There are few full time jobs. That's why my wife and I are overseas (not in the UK).

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

It would be interesting to see what type of school the individuals are getting jobs at.

6. I find this absolutely shocking... Just like the recent changes to unqualified teacher employment in academies, I would assume that a law change would be necessary to trigger such a huge change.

7. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

I can't imagine the jobs would be any worse than the ones they got before and there were plenty of teachers coming over already. I just applied so I could add it to my CV when applying for Brit schools overseas. No intention of working in the UK. It may help, it may not, but it was free, so it can't hurt.