1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad - Latin America.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mainwaring, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

Our first overseas experience, which we loved, was in El Salvador. We moved to Chile and found ourselves in a great country but a hellhole of a school. So my first piece of advice is that these are all VERY different locations, so it's impossible to generalise about
    You may need to be more specific about schools you are interested in.
    I cannot emphasise this too much as many inexperienced Brits make the mistake of lumping all the Latin American countries together. A couple of weeks before moving to Santiago my debit card was cloned in Guatemala and a money stolen from my account. When I contacted my Bank (Barclays International, would you believe?) they insisted that I report the theft to my 'local' police station and obtain a crime investigation number. When I pointed out that the theft had occurred in Guatemala and I lived in Chile the dozy doxy on the other end of the costly international telephone call said 'Well, it's all the same place, innit?'
    As the regulars on here know, I like Search Associates. TIE strikes me as a more American style medium, though I once found an (American school) job through them, in the hellhole school, as it happens.

2. cpl199

cpl199 New commenter

I agree. Lumping them together is a mistake. However, placing ones tongue into ones cheek, there are themes...... Most countries have raging poverty and the difference beteewn the 'salt of the earth' have nots and the 'stroppy' haves is large. Yes parents will pressure you to change grades, they will go directly to the Directorate to have have your head served to them on a platter, the PTA is seen as a social tool for political power and public demonstration of that power (perhaps less so in Argentina and Uruguay?). Brazil, for me, has the most cosmopolitan approach, I am afraid Boliva is full of good meaning but any 'Britishness' is plastic and for garnish. But much can be learnt I feel !!! So if you want to see South America, fancy seeing alternative attitudes to education, then give it a go :)

3. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Unlikely - that is not the way of things in most international schools in Latin America in my first, second, third and all the rest, hand experience. The PTA are involved far more in your life than elsewhere but they are also clued up enough to know that - if they fall out with you, you can get them on your side in two minutes just like if they were your best mates.

Yes. Same elsewhere, Britain included.

Not sure why you would want to go to Latin America to look for Britain.

4. blue451

blue451 New commenter

I spent a couple of years in South America. The school was a soul-destroying place to work - some lovely kids of course but way too many demotivated, rude and undisciplined ones. An uncomfortable mix of british/international and local system meant that students were obliged to take 8 AS levels (yes, eight) regardless of their GCSE results - and knowing that at the end of the day, their results in GCSE/AS/A2 count for little. As a professional experience it was awful.

BUT the chance to live, work and travel in LAm was fantastic and I loved every minute of that part of it. If you go with realistic expectations of the school, ignoring any notions of britishness, prestige or the good reputation a school may profess to have, and if you look on it as an opportunity to see a truly amazing part of the world, then it's worth it for as long as you can stand it.

If I were confident of finding a happier place to work there, I'd go back like a shot.

5. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Not quite sure what is happening here, someone has resurected the Captains old thread (2011) but without a query, or so it seems. Having worked in S.A. quite a bit I am happy to receive a PM/Conversation to reply to an enquiry

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Established commenter

How did you even find this 5 year old post.

Learn to read post dates and use a forum or otherwise please go elsewhere as you are just wasting people's time :mad:

7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

A mystery to me too. I'm not even convinced that I started this thread. My post sounds less like an OP than a response to someone else's.

I loved Latin America but there are schools where the Centro de Padres wields enormous power and not always for good. My lot in the hellhole school gave me considerable grief and then tried to persuade me to stay when I found another job. I was even invited back a few years later. Clearly they were feeling either desperate or masochistic or both.