1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad help!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jaydeglav, Jan 31, 2016.

1. jaydeglav

jaydeglav New commenter

My friend and I got talking today. We have both taught for 2 years and my contract is coming to an end and we're a little fed up of the same mundane day to day routine we have. We got talking about teaching abroad, a few people we know do this and are wondering if it's a possibility.

We ideally want somewhere English speaking, hopefully teaching the English curriculum and somewhere safe. We are exicited but also scared about it and would only really take the plunge together. Does anyone know a way we'd be able to do this?

Thinks in advance for any replies and advice.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My advice is to communicate with a fat and smelly swamp-dwelling animal that occasionally wanders around this TES forum.

bec_payne likes this.
  3. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

A lot of schools used to ask for 3 years experience but I think that many have now decided that 2 is enough. Your best bet with your stipulations, is to look in the TES or Search Associates/CIS as these tend to cater for English medium schools. I wouldn't be so quick to crave English curriculum though, the IB is taking off in a big way in many International schools as it is in the more sensible ones back in the UK.
    I have no idea regarding both getting a job in the same school you do not mention what subjects you teach. There will often be jobs in the same city, Jakarta, Bangkok, Shanghai etc but you run the risk of one of you ending up in a great school and the other in an also ran one where the pay and conditions are not so good. You could also luck in, if for example you are primary teachers then many of the big schools here in Bangkok advertise for up to 10 a year dependent upon the stage of the cycle that their teachers are in. Also you do not mention gender. There may be some places that you would be best to steer clear of...anyway I look forward to seeing where this thread leads.

Perce

4. jaydeglav

jaydeglav New commenter

Thank you for your reply. From my research the one's we were looking at seemed to say 2 years would be okay. I will certainly look for those online and I have heard of the IB but have no experience teaching it.

We are both primary school teachers but I think we want to avoid the middle East, especially for a first time doing this and because we're both women. I have seen a good looking advertisement for a school in Milan but it is through an agency and I couldn't find anywhere the name of the school. It mentioned it was new and gave other details but nothing so I could properly check it out. I will have to have another proper look when I'm not working!

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If you would consider Russia, send me a message.

6. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

different countries offer different opportunities - think about where you might want to travel a lot and investigate schools in that region. European schools in general don't tend to offer any accommodation allowance and have higher tax, but SEAsia, china and ME might have better accomodation/tax rate packages.

7. Mike_Luxembourg

Mike_Luxembourg New commenter

First and full most, I would say do it! Get out and not only see but experience the world. Living/working (teaching) in other countries and cultures will not only make you a better person, it will make you a better teacher.

The safest option and perhaps the best first step into teaching overseas would be Europe. English is widely spoken (as a second language) due to tourism and business. Probability wise the schools will be of high-quality and will be like teaching in a UK Independent School - by following the NC but having the ability to exclude anything they don't see as beneficial.
    The relocation package (shipping, resettling allowance/assistance, flights, etc.) is typically very good and will help you with the transition. The renumeration package ((tax-free) salary, accommodation, utilities, annual flights, medical, etc.) will not be anywhere as good as the Middle East or Asia.

So if you aren't too sure and want to dip your toe in the International teaching pool (before possibly going all in and going further afield), then Europe is the best option I'm my opinion, also you can get 'dirt' cheap flights home during the holidays if you have close family ties/get a little home sick, which won't break the bank.

You have enough experience and I assume the correct qualifications, the great difficulty comes in getting two positions at the same place. Most European countries/cities have a few but not lots of international schools (bat western european capital cities). Typically European schools have a lower turn over than ME/Asia where multiple posts will be available, but they do come up. My partner and I (unmarried) are currently applying for positions together, we state we are applying together in out letters of application (LoA). Whilst this isn't obviously the same for you, you could apply jointly (send separate CV's/LoA but refer to each other) and see if schools are open to a joint-type application. It would be unconventional but you have nothing to lose!
    More practically, target British Int. schools that have multiple vacancies, (both) apply to as many as possible and hope for the best, whether it be to European or ME/Asian schools.

Good luck!

8. the hippo

Some very sensible and practical advice from Mike_Luxembourg. Yes, in many ways a job somewhere in Europe would be easiest. Not too far away and not too different.

Mrs Hippopotamus and I enjoyed our time in Bucharest. We had a nice (but small) apartment near the park, where our naughty little Fox Terrier had a happy time barking at Romanian dogs.

9. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

Really! You think that international teaching makes you a better person? A better person than who? Better than the teacher who choses to work in an inner city school, battling through the day to touch that one kid they can help rather than teaching a bunch of over entitled brats that don't really need you. Ex pat arrogance showing its ugly head perhaps.

10. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

'You think that international teaching makes you a better person? A better person than who?'

Possibly a better person than the person s/he used to be?

'Better than the teacher who choses to work in an inner city school, battling through the day to touch that one kid they can help?'

Definitely not. (Bin there, done that) but, quite possibly, no worse.

'teaching a bunch of over entitled brats that don't really need you.'

For all kinds of reasons, the said brats may be just as deprived as the inner city kids and need you just as much.

'Ex pat arrogance...'

I know I should leave well alone but this one always sets my teeth on edge, so here goes: 'Expat' (all one word) is short for 'expatriate' (all one word). If 'ex pat' meant anything at all I suppose it might mean 'an Irish emigrant'.

11. the hippo

I do not see how I might be a better person (or a worse person) by allowing our little doggie to bark at Romanian dogs. When we were living in the UK, she used to bark at English dogs and she used to bark at the warthogs when we lived in Kenya.

As for expat arrogance, all I can say is that I was trying to encourage Mike_Luxembourg. He does not seem to have been posting on this forum for a long time, but I thought that his comments were very sensible and constructive. How is that being "arrogant"?

If it is going to be your first overseas job, then yes, it is a lot easier to teach in a school in Europe, rather than one in Japan. This is a rather obvious comment, perhaps, but I was just trying to be helpful.

Perhaps Redparrotfish could become a better person by not writing such nonsense.

compostela2004 likes this.
  12. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Maybe 'better person' might have been a slightly clumsy wording which would be easy to pick on by some people. I thinking overseas teaching makes you a more well rounded person, exposed to wider cultural experiences than someone say working in an inner city school. If used appropriately this experience should make you more open to differences between people and societies and also more open minded generally.

Expat children don't need teachers? why is that? In addition to the deprived overseas children, even the 'privileged' expat children still need teachers to help them thrive and develop.

I have worked in difficult inner city Secondary schools as well as good overseas Secondary and Primary schools. I know that I value my overseas experiences more and feel that they made a more positive contribution to my personal development, dare I say, a better person than I was before I left?:)o_O

13. Mike_Luxembourg

Mike_Luxembourg New commenter

Just returned to this thread...

It is my opinion and experience that teaching internationally does make you a better person and a better teacher. My use of the word ‘better’ is not used comparatively against others but comparatively to grow personally/professionally.

As ‘Mainwaring’ sensibly commented, when I say a ‘better person’, my assertion is based on personally becoming more enriched and experienced about the world, it’s inhabitants and it’s future.

When I say a ‘better teacher’, my assertion is based on personally being a primary educator that is able to talk about ‘our learning’ (geography, history, religion, languages) from experience, rather than from what I have been taught/seen in a textbook/online.

There is a nobility in teaching. A nobility born out of educating, helping and caring for those who most need it – geography and wealth are irrespective. ‘Neglect’ is the same whether a child parents are absent due to being ‘down the pub every night’ or ‘at work/a party every night’.

Helping an under-privileged child work towards a positive, healthy and productive life is incredibly important. Helping a privileged child work towards a compassionate, generous and selfless life might be just as important on a larger scale to have a more progressive, fair, trusting and sustainable society/world.

As ‘the hippo’ commented, I don’t personally see arrogance in providing accurate, sensible and constructive advice for a question/thread posed about teaching internationally.

I will consider softening my opinion and use ‘can’ instead of ‘does’ and ‘more well rounded’ rather than ‘better’ from ‘stopwatch’ commenting in constructive and positive manner.

I didn’t lead with this and I shouldn’t really have to say it, but my moniker derives from having taught internationally in Luxembourg and I intend to teach abroad again but I currently teach in the UK and previously taught in inner city schools.

Hopefully, this thread can now return to supporting individuals who want some advice about teaching internationally…

ejclibrarian, Swarles and stopwatch like this.