1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad half way through the year?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mogness, May 24, 2019.

1. Mogness

Mogness New commenter

Hi All,

I was hoping to make the leap to teach abroad (probably Middle East) but due to house sale issues after my divorce and then my HOD having a baby and leaving me in charge, I now won't be able to leave my school until the end of the Autumn term when she returns (this is a choice I've made out of loyalty to my current school and HOD who have been incredibly supportive the past 12 years).

The question is, am I mad to start in an international school part way through the year? Are there even many jobs out there at that point?!

I should also point out that I'm a single mummy to a 6 year old, I've read lots of posts regarding single parenting and teaching overseas, but I'm always happy to collect more advice!

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

you wont get a choice. schools start when they start. they will want a full complement of teaching staff at the start. now, most northern hemisphere schools start beginning of August, and end in June or July. some southern hemisphere schools start their year in January. that might be your only option. im have worked in two southern hemisphere schools and they have gone from August to June.

you might be lucky to get a position as someone has not turned up, or run away. but they chances of this a small.

Mogness likes this.
  3. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

It is my experience that all Southern Hemisphere international schools, apart from those that follow the Australian curriculum, start their year in August.
    Picking up a job at a school which has an emergency would need careful consideration. It appears that some schools regularly have vacancies throughout the year due to teachers running away. However, even the best schools can have unexpected vacancies mid-year. These present a wonderful opportunity for those ready to jump and be available for an immediate start.

Mogness likes this.
  4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

From my experience, it isn't entirely unusual for a member of staff to leave at Christmas, for a variety of reasons - pregnant, want to return home to be with a sick relative, job not what they expected when they signed up, country not what they expected when they signed up, just had enough of being abroad, etc. If you're ready and able to move at short notice, and you're not fussy about what country you move to, there are jobs out there. However, with a young child, it might not be so easy - after all, you need to find a school place and after school childcare, which may or may not be easy mid-year (no personal experience of this). Think carefully about how late you're willing to be job hunting, and accept that you might be better off waiting for peak recruitment season (November-February/March) to secure a position for the following academic year.

Mogness likes this.
  5. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

Well there are schools who run a southern hemisphere calendar of course where the school year starts in Feb or March. And two of my northern hemisphere postings have started in January so it's definitely not as impossible as some would have you believe.

Sure, fewer posts come up in the middle of the year - but there are also fewer teachers available in the middle of the year so less competition.

Trust it, see what comes up and if nothing you fancy comes up mid year, there's always supply while you keep looking.

Mogness likes this.
  6. Mogness

Mogness New commenter

Thanks everyone, it’s a bit of a mine field. I absolutely ideally would’ve moved for this year but I just couldn’t do it to my HOD, or the pupils-they’ve been messed around enough as it is...though joe I’ve put myself in a difficult position! I suppose the best option is to see what comes up between Sept and Oct half term. I never seem to do things the easy way!

7. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Good luck Mogness, when you're ready sure the right thing will come along and thus forum has some very knowledgeable people on it.

Ps - put yourself first.

Mogness likes this.
  8. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Once upon a time I was a January start at an August-start school. Jobs like that do come up and there are advantages and disadvantages to a mid-year start. I had a much shortened induction, for instance; but then, as I said, there are disadvantages too...

There are January start jobs currently advertised on here, in my subject area anyway. No harm in looking, with the main round as Plan B.

Mogness likes this.
  9. Mogness

Mogness New commenter

Thank you!

10. Emeritusbc

Emeritusbc New commenter

Schools in the middle east are desperate to fill teacher vacancies throughout the year. Teachers leave at the drop of a hat leaving classes without a teacher its just the nature of teaching abroad. I started my last 2 jobs in Abu Dhabi half way through the academic year and I found you get offered a better package because they're desperate to get you out ASAP!

Mr_Frosty and Mogness like this.
  11. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

cannot you not just wait until the following school year as you need to consider your daughter in all of this. its better to wait and find a suitable one for you both. Also don't forget to get a letter from your ex about taking your daughter abroad.

Mogness likes this.
  12. Mogness

Mogness New commenter

(I’m not sure if this will post as my phone doesn’t seem to like TES) Did you find it was all a bit rushed or did you have time to settle first??

13. Mogness

Mogness New commenter

I had considered that, but my house sale goes through in Aug and I don’t fancy renting and wasting money. I’ll be happy to get my daughter out of the school she is in now, but you are correct I certainly want the best for her-if fact she’s the one I’m ultimately doing it for (I want to save the money so she can be privately educated) I have seen my solicitor about taking my daughter abroad to work, her and her dad only see each other once every 3-4 weeks, plus he went to an international school (his mum was a teacher) so he knows the benefits it can bring.....life is never simple, but I’m not expecting that to be a battle, fingers crossed.

14. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

My school has had mid year vacancies for a number of reasons - occasionally people leave as they want to move back home or they need to cover maternity or the country/school really didn't suit someone (or their partner) it's not necessarily a huge red flag but I'd be concerned if a school was posting lots of mid year vacancies, as I would if they had lots for August start as well to be fair.

15. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I know a number of people who have changed or started jobs in Jan in the UAE - it doesn't seem too much of an issue, but in some cases there may be a 'good' reason why they are suddenly hiring for a Jan start.

16. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 New commenter

Does anyone have advice as to where the best places are to teach if you’re a single mum?