1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad for a few months?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MrJames1892, May 6, 2020.

1. MrJames1892

MrJames1892 New commenter

I was thinking of potentially teaching abroad for a few months this calendar year anytime from June to December.
    Obviously, I understand that with the current situation this may not be possible.
    However, if it was possible to do you know of any good schemes that would allow me for a few months?
    I will have just passed my undergraduate primary education course and I will be a QTS.
    What countries would people advise me to go and teach in for a few months?
    Are there any schemes that pay for my travel or accommodation etc?
    Thank you for reading this!

2. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Most international schools require at least a two year commitment. There is a website called Teachers on the Move that hires for sub positions in international schools. No idea what they are like.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Why for only "a few months", MrJames1892? If teaching overseas is better than teaching in the UK, then why not go overseas and stay overseas?

On the other hand, if you have really decided to make your career in the UK, then you might as well stay in the UK and get on with it.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

The question is: would employers invest some thousands of pounds in airfares and accommodation for an inexperienced temp?

5. leylandii

leylandii New commenter

I would advise you to complete your NQT year first.

6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

If its for the experience then you can probably find a bunch of places you can volunteer abroad and pay for the experience.

If you want to be paid to do it, you're probably not worth the effort of a school to pay for any contribution for such a short time.

teachingmatters1 likes this.
  7. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

Not the best time to be moving abroad. Ive heard something about a virus and borders being closed..

Seriously though, do your NQT year and a further two years experience after that if possible. Then you might get a good job abroad.

8. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

Some points:

1 The OP made the post way back on 6 May
    2 He hasn't replied once (in fact it's his only post on TES)
    3 He hasn't logged in since the date of his one and only post on 6 May.
    4 Lastly, it's a such an incredibly daft question that it doesn't even deserve a reply :D

9. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I think he is sitting at home, eating popcorn

10. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Do they have a hundred sock puppet accounts asking about moving to Dubai or Singapore?