1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad - does it matter what teacher training course you do?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lgxlam1, Oct 2, 2015.

  1. lgxlam1

    lgxlam1 New commenter

    Hi there,

    I am going to be applying for primary school teacher training (PGCE and QTS) to start Sept 2016 and very shortly I will be having to select courses to apply for.

    I would really like to have the option to teach abroad and in particular in Singapore in the long term as I have family there.

    So - here are my burning questions.....

    Firstly, would a PGCE and QTS be recognised?

    Secondly, does it matter which university I do my training at - are some recognised and others not - some preferred and others not etc?

    Thirdly, what about school direct and scitt courses that are based at schools - would they be recognised?

    I would appreciate any advice! Thank you!
  2. TonyGT

    TonyGT Established commenter

    You need QTS, however you get it. I've not known schools look for PGCE's from specific places.

    Never heard of Scott.

    You will be expected to have a few years post PGCE though before you'll be considered for anywhere decent
    lgxlam1 likes this.
  3. davidbowiefan

    davidbowiefan Established commenter

    Schools Direct and SCITT aren't even recognised in Scotland and Northern Ireland, let alone the rest of the world. From reading messages here over the years I understand it would be difficult if not impossible to teach abroad with them. Some countries have visa requirements for qualifications and these courses would be rejected. Obviously if you had a PGCE from Cambridge or another Russell Group university it might be more prestigious but as the previous poster said, its just as important to gain experience and prove yourself as a teacher.
    agbak and lgxlam1 like this.
  4. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Here in China you only need a BA/BSc to get a teaching job! In fact the visa regulation for an ESL teacher are now stricter then for a school teacher. In the last year the Chinese Authorities have even started checking CELTA qualifications are real before issuing a work visa for EFL instructors.

    Many schools don't know the difference between a PGCSE with QTS and an iPGCSE with SFA or turn a blind eye to the fact for recruitment shortages. Don't think a pretentious name is a guarantee that all the teachers are QTS and have completed a NQT/Probationary year.
    lgxlam1 likes this.
  5. Kartoshka

    Kartoshka Established commenter

    Yes. This is your best option for training, as it is recognised all over the world.

    No, it doesn't matter. Some schools will see Oxford and Cambridge as more prestigious than others, just because of their reputation as universities (nothing to do with the quality of their teacher training). But there isn't really a hierarchy for PGCE courses, even within the UK, as there is for undergraduate degrees.

    Some schools will be happy with any form of teacher training, but a PGCE is preferable and will open the most doors for you. Better to go with that.
    lgxlam1 likes this.
  6. CarrieV

    CarrieV Lead commenter

    Stick with the PGCE/QTS rather than scitt or schools direct if your intention is to work abroad, many countries don't recognise the latter two
    lgxlam1 likes this.
  7. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Some sensible advice from CarrieV. Opinion is divided on the value of a CELTA. Some (like me) think that a CELTA will add a sparkle to your CV, while others think that it really will not make much difference.
    lgxlam1 likes this.
  8. Chilli_bean

    Chilli_bean New commenter

    I did a SCITT course and got QTS at the end of it and now I'm working in Bangkok. Also had offers from other countries with no issues.
    lgxlam1 likes this.
  9. englishtt06

    englishtt06 Occasional commenter

    There were some discussions on here about Australia not recognising any school-based training route into teaching (i.e. SCITT) - there was also discussion that this was changing but I haven't heard anything since. Am not sure how Canada etc. would view these types of entry-routes, but I have a vague recollection that a few countries require at least four years of university-study, which is where the PGCE comes in. As a rule of thumb, if you are definite about teaching abroad as a long-term goal, then the PGCE is the gold-standard. That is not to say that you will not get any job with school-based training, just that the PGCE is universal and more guaranteed entry (if anything in life can be guaranteed). It will open up more options for you. There were quite a few threads on here regarding GTP (especially Australia) which is the former name of school-based training - you could try a search on here for more country-specific info. As other posters have said, in terms of PGCE provider, apart from some top-tier schools having a glut of Oxbridge graduates, I have personally not seen any discrimination or ranking of the rest of the UK universities.
    lgxlam1 likes this.
  10. lgxlam1

    lgxlam1 New commenter

    Wow - thanks so much for your help! That is very helpful and interesting - particularly about school direct and SCITT not being recognised in Scotland etc. I am glad that I asked these questions!
  11. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    I know a few teaching assistants with 2 or 3 years experience in the UK who have moved abroad and become head teachers.

    You sometimes wonder if it is worth the trouble of getting UK qualified in the first place to move abroad to teach.

Share This Page