1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad and payscale

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by u1325087, Jan 31, 2016.

1. u1325087

u1325087 New commenter

Hello,
    I'm hoping to spend the next few years travelling big and teaching abroad. Something that is worrying me is the pay I will be coming back to. I should be finishing this year going onto M3, but if I'm not here, evidencing my teaching skills, does that mean I will be coming back to teach on M3 wages or will be experience abroad mean a higher pay when I come back? The money is only just stretching and I still live at home so I'm concerned I'll be coming back to a worse standard of living.
    Thanks in advance
    (I'm primary qualified)

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

You will be paid according to 1. what the job is advertised at. 2. According to the schools pay scale.
    They may or may not take into account your overseas experience.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, but to be honest, they are extremely unlikely to take into account your overseas experience. Unless you teach Maths or Physics with an honours degree, in which case they may offer you a lot more.

@u1325087 There is no national pay scale in England & Wales any more. There is no Pay Portability either, I'm afraid.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Are you sure? Does your school's Pay Policy say so? Very many of them only give a pay increase based on Performance Management.

Best wishes

4. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Which is somewhat amusing when one considers:
    1. The standard of teaching in international schools is often far higher than in your typical UK comp. Especially those offering the vastly superior I..B. diploma.
    2. If you can effectively teach those whose first language isn't English then you should be even better at teaching kids in their own language. Unless, of course, UK schools place a large premium on experience with disruptive, lazy kids.

5. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

As above there are no pay scales any more so don't worry about that.

Anyway, why would you ever go back?