1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching abroad and coming back to the uk?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by tiredinhongkong, Feb 14, 2011.

1. I'm also looking at this. I have been working in Hong Kong for 7years. I am now looking at coming home in Sept 2011 or 2012. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

My advice would be to stay abroad. A colleague of mine has just returned from the UK and she said that everyone is moaning about VAT, unemployment, rising prices, the government, the weather etc., etc.! Okay, tiredinhongkong, I can understand that after seven years you are tired of Hong Kong, but there are plenty of other interesting places in the world. The UK is not one of them, so my advice would be to go somewhere else. South America? The Middle East?
    It seems to me that many heads in the UK think that international teachers are just a load of overpaid loafers who want a tax-free holiday in the sun.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

You'll find a simple search on "return to uk" will yield many answers to the same questions you've asked, included one a few days ago.
    In short:
    is it possible - yes
    is it easy - no
    aeroplanes are helpful
    they're the same if you were in England to begin with
    People have been known to do runners, but generally not a good idea.

[​IMG]

4. Hello Beverett,
    I did return to the UK after working overseas for 6 years. I did this to see if I wanted to live back in England and also to go through threshold (which I did the second year I was back.) You do need to attend a face to face interview for a job in the Uk and it may be possible to arrange these during your holidays (as international schools do not always have the holidays at the same time as UK schools.)
    Also I have to say that I was not tied down to any particular place in England and the only responses I got were from schools in London-which is where I ended up. Some schools did say that they would be interested in me applying again once I had more experience in England! I enjoyed working back in England...but I am now back overseas (where I now know I belong!) But I guess I wouldn't have known that without going back for a short time!
    So I say go overseas, there are some great schools and experiences, England isn't going anywhere...and there will always be jobs in England...if you're not fussy!
    Hope that helps.