1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Abroad: advice needed

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by nvchevannes, Aug 23, 2018.

1. nvchevannes

nvchevannes New commenter

Hello TES Community,

I am a Design Technology teacher looking to make a move abroad to teach. I have sent 4 years at my current school (this will be my 5th): one a teaching assistant and one as a lead teaching assistant before starting my teacher training. I also have a year experience as a deputy head of year 7 and begin this year as a the deputy head of year 9.

Do you have advice as to how best to go about seeking and applying for jobs abroad? I am open to go anywhere.

You help and guidance will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. cool09

cool09 New commenter

Please move this thread to 'Teaching overseas' section and you will get lots of advices.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Join 'Search Associates'. Once registered you will have access to their database of schools, you'll be able to search for vacancies, and schools will be able to find you too.

The registration process requires 3 references to be submitted, your CV, completing an online bio, etc. Once that's done schools have access to that info, so you don't need to keep requesting references from your head. You'll be interviewed over Skype or phone. Once offered a role the new school will probably phone your old Head for safeguarding reasons.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

So are you saying:
    1st year: TA
    2nd year: Lead TA
    3rd year: trainee teacher
    4th year: dep head year 7
    5th year dep head year 9
    Giving you two years as a qualified teacher, both with leadership roles?

Look on TES and the like for adverts. When you see a post you like, do a thorough search about the school and ask on the teaching overseas board here. Then get applying.

Have a great time.

5. nvchevannes

nvchevannes New commenter

I will be starting this academic year as Dep Head of year 9