1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching a shared class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by craignovember, Jul 4, 2012.

1. craignovember

craignovember New commenter

I've recently been offered a position in a really good school, but have since found out that I will be sharing a class with another teacher and being used as PPA cover for the remainder of the week.
    Does anyone have any advice or experience of this situation?

2. craignovember

I've recently been offered a position in a really good school, but have since found out that I will be sharing a class with another teacher and being used as PPA cover for the remainder of the week.
    Does anyone have any advice or experience of this situation?

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Take it! You're lucky to have been offered a job. I took on a 'bits and pieces' role and it led to a full time permanent position the following year.

4. craignovember

There wasn't any danger of me not taking it, I bit their hands off, it's just the logistics of it that is puzzling me. I'm an nqt who will be sharing with an experienced teacher, I'm wondering if anyone has similar experiences, how did they find it?

5. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

I have experience of this from the opposite side. I cut down my hours after having my child and the head employed a teacher on 0.7 to do the rest of my jobshare and the some of the PPA cover too. I found it useful in the fact that the person I shared my class with, was also in school at the same time as me and it was easy to make time to plan and communicate about the class and any issues.

6. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

I really enjoy sharing a class. Its great to have someone to bounce idea off and when it comes to report writing, displays, trips, parent's evenings etc, there is someone to share it with. I work as a 0.6 (every morning and one afternoon) and share the class with the head teacher who teaches the rest of the week (and does the PPA cover for the other class).

7. I agree that you should bite their hands off, but check that it won't affect your induction. PPA cover does not count towards the induction year, as far as I am aware, so if you are say 0.5 class teacher and 0.5 PPA teacher, it might take you 2 years to complete induction.
    I don't want to scare you, I just think it would be in your best interests to check.

8. I did the first 6 months of my NQT year working as a job share in a year 3/4 class with a very experienced teacher .... it was a wonderful experience and I learnt so much.

Bebh