1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching a region as A2 culture topic

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by missrcp, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I am an NQT and have just started teaching Andalusia as one of the culture topics to my A2 Spanish group. As much as I am enjoying it I am also stressing about it! Can anybody offer me any advice/resources on this topic? The other teachers in my department have offered advice but they haven't taught a region before. I'm not sure how much depth to go into in each area and whether or not I am teaching them to be too descriptive and not really analytical. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Missrcp

2. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

A few points to consider include:
    • who chose the topic - you or the students?
    • will they do their own research in addition to what you give them?
    • will they visit the area?
    AQA's examiners suggest that topics that the students have chosen are more likely to interest them than ones chosen by teachers. Also, they should practise their essay writing skills at the rate of one a week. The specification lists the areas that might be useful to cover, and last year's paper, together with its counterparts in French and German, concentrated on the economy of the area chosen and its effect on the inhabitants, the pros and cons of living there, the pros and cons of taking a holiday there, and the area's most attractive spot. Another good source of information from the examiners is their reports on last year's work, again comparing them with their French and German counterparts. These reports tell you what candidates did well and point out where they didn't.
    While you have a greater degree of control of the speaking test - assuming you're conducting it - the writing is a different matter. Your students must be able to answer the question set, not necessarily the one they'd like or one for which they have a ready-made answer.
    Good luck.