1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching a novel to 6th form

Discussion in 'English' started by lighthouse_keeper, Nov 16, 2011.

1. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Help!
    My 6th form lessons feel really dry and uninspiring. We go through passages of the book (Brighton Rock) and examine the elements we need to, but my 6th formers are afraid of saying anything in case they get it wrong, so I ask a question, we sit there for a bit, noone says anything, then I end up talking at them.
    Has anyone got any ideas for making it more interactive- I feel like I drag them through the lesson, and I'm talking for a lot of it, which seems wrong.
    Any ideas to get them doing things which would help them study the novel would be much appreciated!

2. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Another question -does anyone have a Scheme of Work for Brighton Rock? I'm working a little in the dark -I'm working through the book but a scheme would be a real help if anyone has one they wouldn't mind sharing!