1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching A level

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by peanut333, Feb 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. peanut333

peanut333 New commenter

Hi

I'm currently undergoing interviews for my teaching application. One of the training providers I've applied to says their course prepares students to teach across the secondary age group (11-19 age range) and really emphasises the focus on teaching at A level.

The other two training providers have no mention of teaching at A level and any mention of an age range is 11-16. If I go for either of these courses will I not be able to teach A level?

I've not come across needing to do a particular type of pgce in order to teach 16-18 before, but the distinction is surely there for a reason right?

Thanks

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

If you do a PGCE and gain QTS you can teach any age range from reception to year 13. I’m secondary trained and have actually taught every year group from reception to year 13. Your PGCE qualifies you to teach any subjects that the school needs you to teach too. Not just the subject you did for PGCE.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If you do the 11-19 course then you have to teach A level in at least one of your placements. If you do the 11-16 then you might not have the opportunity to teach A level, as you might be placed in schools without sixth forms/ not running your subject at A level.

Some people are precious about teaching A level, so they might prefer to see you having done it on the PGCE before allowing you to do it as an NQT/NQT+1.

Ask the training providers about opportunities if worried.

border_walker likes this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

If all else is equal, I'd go for the one with A-level if possible. Some schools keep trainees away from such classes and it's a pity. New teachers, particularly those who've out of Uni for a while, sometimes feel anxious at the thought of teaching A-level and of you get to do it as part of your training, with support, will do wonders for confidence.

For me A-level teaching is what I'm there for - I wouldn't apply for any job that didn't offer it, yet I don't think I got to do any on my PGCE.

agathamorse likes this.