1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching A level Core Maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Zak420, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Zak420

Zak420 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I will be teaching A level Maths from December and haven't had any experience of teaching it yet, I feel anxious about it as when i looked through the book (Edexcel A/S) i honestly couldn't remember how to do roughly 50% of the book.

Does anyone know of any good websites or any information i could use to help me please?

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

It's back to being called Pure Maths now.
    Confusingly there is "Core Pure" but that is the compulsory part of Further Maths.
    And then there is "Core Maths" aka "Maths In Context" but that isn't an A Level, it's for students with a 5 or 6 who want an extra AS with no algebra.

LiamD likes this.
  4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Register with the AMSP (www.amsp.org.uk) and they have lots of online PD, plus your school may have access to Integral resources, which are great for developing your teaching. If you are also teaching Mechanics or Statistics (you definitely will be) then access the Edexcel Teaching Guides for these, in my Dropbox at https://bit.ly/alevelmaths2017

5. LiamD

LiamD Occasional commenter

Thanks for that, I've been struggling to explain what Core Maths is to potential students for a few days now. That's much better than anything I came up with.

adamcreen likes this.
  6. martinyip65

martinyip65 New commenter

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the renaming of A-level modules was utterly ridiculous...especially for a discipline reliant so much on logic and clarity.