1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching a KS3 Nurture Group in September...

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Miss Gomez01, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Miss Gomez01

Miss Gomez01 New commenter

Hello,
    I have Posted this thread in another forum, only one teacher responded, (in the same position as me, but has not responed back) so I thought I would re-post here in the hope more people would offer advise??

Anyway here goes,
    I am returning to a PRU school in September to teach a Nurture group, there are only two in the group, both boys, one year 7 and one year 8.
    I was asked by the head teacher to run this group, he told me I could teach/do what I liked with them as long as I covered literacy and numeracy. I have 9 years experience as a qualified teacher, so I am using my knowledge and experience so far to put together SOW.
    I suggested the school garden could become our class project and incorporate budgeting in there to buy the things we needed...the head is very happy about this.
    Literacy I am going to look at 'Lamb to the slaughter' first, mixing in the use of metaphors etc
    I have no Idea what levels these children are in any subject, but I am going to cover PHSE, History, literacy, Numeracy, ASDAN, Library, and the garden. I have been a supply teacher for two years so have produced some nice SOW.
    But
    If there is anyone out there that can offer me any more advice I would really appreciate it!!!
    :)

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

It's a bit hard to suggest what to do unless you know what levels the children are at! I would start with basic skills, so times tables/written calculations/simple word problems and see where they are then, then come up with a plan when you know what they are like. I would imagine that being in a PRU their educational history has been patchy and they haven't been the best motiavted students in the past, so likely to be on the lower level of attainment (but may have higher potential than they are currently achieving). If relevant Springbaord 7 is a good resource to push children on from Level 3 to 4

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

with only boys, have you considered some work based on sport.
    Most professional football clubs now have an education unit who could certainly help you.
    I worked in partnership with a fantastic NQT PE teacher with the lowest (the tutor groups were streamed) group split between us. We ended up splitting the boys and girls, I tutored the girls, he had the boys, we taught them more than half of the curriculum.
    He used a reward display based on a football pitch, each good referall the boys got moved them towards the goal, each DT moved them back one space.
    There are loads of resources around football. You may well be able to get some free tickets for rewards if you contact your local club's community bod.

4. Miss Gomez01

Hello, and thank you to both of you for replying!!
    Yes I agree it is difficult to know where to start and pitch the levels
    of learning, I have decided to start with the basics, times table etc,
    tilI can talk to their previous teachers. The head teacher did tell me they were low ability
    due to attendance etc.
    I like the idea of sport only one problem, there is no sports facilities on the school site,
    I have incorporated surfing (as we are in Cornwall) and there is
    a morning on the farm too. We used to use the gym at the local leisure centre but a new rule in
    place has put a stop to that as the children have to be 16 to use it. Mine are only year 7 & 8!
    I will put some feelers out about local football clubs to try a get some support, I like that idea. You have
    also given me the idea of an acheivement board too, but I will have to get to know their hobbies etc as I would
    like to make it personal to them.
    Thank you both of you for your support!!
    :)

5. Miss Gomez01

I will have a look into the books, thank you so much for your suggestions
    and support!!
    Any suggestions on discussions ? I think they maybe too old for circle time,
    but would like to get them discussing things as I believe it would help with their
    self esteem, listening skills etc.
    I would also like to set an independent learning project, any suggestions?
    Or do you think I should wait, and find out what their into?

Thanks again for responding so quickly and your support!!
    X

6. Miss Gomez01

I will have a look into the books, thank you so much for your suggestions
    and support!!

Any suggestions on discussions ? I think they maybe too old for circle time,
    but would like to get them discussing things as I believe it would help with their
    self esteem, listening skills etc.

I would also like to set an independent learning project, any suggestions?
    Or do you think I should wait, and find out what their into?

Thanks again for responding so quickly and your support!!
    X