1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching 2D shape...some advice please...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by bruders, Nov 14, 2010.

1. I am a KS1/2 trained NQT but have started just started my first post in a Reception class (love it!). I am teaching 2D shape and am starting the week by discussing the shapes and their properties (in child speak of course). As we are looking at firefighters this week as a focused activity I was going to get the children to paint fire engines used shaped sponges, encouraging them to talk their activity through. However I am fully aware that although their picture will be an array of 2D shapes they will actually be using 3D shapes to paint. Is this a bad idea? Will it confused them?

2. I am a KS1/2 trained NQT but have started just started my first post in a Reception class (love it!). I am teaching 2D shape and am starting the week by discussing the shapes and their properties (in child speak of course). As we are looking at firefighters this week as a focused activity I was going to get the children to paint fire engines used shaped sponges, encouraging them to talk their activity through. However I am fully aware that although their picture will be an array of 2D shapes they will actually be using 3D shapes to paint. Is this a bad idea? Will it confused them?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Is this some wind up? If not,which I doubt, then I suggest you post this on Early Years. You have realised, I assume, that fire engines are not 2D shapes either. Why would you want children to paint them with sponge shapes? If the firefighters see a bunch of Reception children messing with their engines they will strike again pronto. It will definitely 'confused' them. It will no doubt confused us too.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Mea culpa. You HAVE indeed posted it on early years. I thought I was on Opinion. Sorry! I still find it strange though.

5. Thanks for the help

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Is there any reason why you feel you need to link work on 2D shapes with topic work on firefighters?

7. No, not at all. Like I said I am new to Early Years (done 2 weeks) and was just looking for some advice or even constructive criticism!

8. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

If you are printing you are inevitably going to use 3D shapes to do this. I would discuss the printed shape rather than the foam sponge or whatever. If a child comments on the difference I would have an ad hoc discussion about 3D shape if it seems appropriate.
    I usually use cut out paper shapes if I am going to do shape pictures but it is time consuming to cut out all the different shapes and the pre-cut ones you can buy tend to all be the same size which limits what you can do.
    I would question why you need to use "child speak" to discuss the shapes - I use the correct mathematical language with my reception class and it doesn't seem to phase them.

9. I meant referring to what the shape looks like such as it "how many corners does it have?" rather than asking the children "what properties does this shape have?"
    Think I've just realised how difficult it is to communicate in a forum without coming across as a complete idiot!

10. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

[​IMG] Bruders, my reply wasn't intended as a criticism so apologies if I've offended you. Nor do I think that you come across as a complete idiot. I think you come across as someone who wants to do the best for his/her class.

11. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

Bruders, welcome to the early years!
    Your idea is commendable as I can see you are trying to make links in children's learning (combining fire engines and 2D shapes) but if I were you I would keep them separate entities and then maybe once the fire engines have been painted the children could be encouragd to talk about the shapes on their pictures.
    Instead, there are loads of other things you could do with shapes. Magic bag game with shapes inside and the children have to describe the shape to others and they have to guess what it is*. Magnetic shapes on boards; maybe with picture cards for them to replicate; tangram puzzles; using 2D shapes to draw, cut around, then create something with; ICT program; shape hunt in the class and at home - in nursery we did interactive displays with a shape theme and had 'square day' etc when children brought something in from home or wore clothes with that shape on.

*Magic bag, what's inside?
    What's the shape you try to hide?
    Is it a circle, triangle, rectangle or square?
    Feel the shape, describe what's there.

12. Thank you for your fantastic ideas mumbobumbo. I actually secured the job through a shape activity. I wore a hat and a child had to put a shape on it then I modelled questions such as "does it have any straight edges?" Actually this was the first question and the answer was "no" so it could only be a circle! It was hilarious and I laughed it off saying to the head who was observing me "well that worked well didn't it!" Perhaps I will do this again as it is a different class anyway.
    I will definitely try some of these ideas out. Thanks again! [​IMG]

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I am sincerely sorry. I sent you a PM to say so. I think you will get lots of help from this forum. It is a particularly good and helpful one and I was being silly. I really thought I was on Opinion.

14. No offense taken. As you can imagine the first person to reply to my post didn't put me in the best of moods. Do you use the word 'properties' with your children? I think you're right to use mathematical language with them as it sets them off on the right path. [​IMG]

15. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

Sounds good fun!
    I forgot to say, you could extend the magic bag song to include more difficult shapes. Children love learning new and complicated words to go and impress their friends and parents with!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That was me, everyone. I am a total heel. I will wear a hair shirt for the next week and walk on hot coals whilst poking pins into my eyeballs and chanting " Forgive me, bruders, for I have sinned".

17. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

It's not that bad ........ just don't do it again!!! [​IMG]

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thanks for absolving me, mumbum, but really my penace was for offending bruders not for offending you.

19. It's ok nutella! I'm probably feeling a bit vulnerable anyway with no sleep, a million things I want to change in class (with no money!) and not enough hours in the day!
    I know what you're going to say...welcome to the world of teaching! [​IMG]

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thank goodness for that! Why no sleep? Is it because you are worried or because you are working into the night because if you are over working like that you mustn't! Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and prioritise what you want to change. Maybe you could post about these things and get help from other posters here. Some things can be changed without money and many more with just a little money.( Why is there no money, anyway?). Take care. nutx