1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching 2D and 3D shapes ideas please

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by pgcePCET1617, Dec 24, 2016.

1. pgcePCET1617

pgcePCET1617 New commenter

Hi
    I need some fun ideas on how to teach pre- entry level 2 learners about 3D and 2D shapes. I also wanted to incorporate measuring Into this lesson.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

2. lynn3003

lynn3003 New commenter

We recently explored 3D and 2D shapes at my school. There were the usual activities like going on a shape hunt in the classroom, sorting shapes for both 2D and 3D.... but my personal favourite was when the kids used various materials (legos, wooden blocks, plastic construction toys, etc) to build a dinosaur - we've also been exploring dinosaurs - we would ask the kids to identify the shapes of individual pieces as they went along.

pgcePCET1617 likes this.
  3. jamesjosephrogers

jamesjosephrogers New commenter

Maybe look at something like simple 3d modelling (sketchup, 123Design, etc) so that you have a top view (2D) but then you can move it down to show that it's 3 dimensional

pgcePCET1617 likes this.