1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching 14-16 year olds in FE College.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by The_Machinist., Sep 2, 2011.

1. Hi all, some advice needed please, I'm sure someone here will be able to clear this up.
    I am an Engineering Instructor at an FE College. Before this I started a PGCE, but while on a placement at the College I was offered a job, so I left the PGCE and took it. (I now regret this)
    Although I have since done PTLLS and CTLLS, I do not have either QTS or QTLS.
    I have been teaching 14-16 year old kids doing the new Diploma at College.
    I know for a fact I would not be allowed to Teach 14-16 year olds in a School Classroom because I don't have QTS, so can anyone tell me if I should be Teaching them in a College Classroom without QTS? The only difference is the building in which the lessons take place!
    I'm Confused - any advice would be appreciated, so thanks in advance.

2. Hi all, some advice needed please, I'm sure someone here will be able to clear this up.
    I am an Engineering Instructor at an FE College. Before this I started a PGCE, but while on a placement at the College I was offered a job, so I left the PGCE and took it. (I now regret this)
    Although I have since done PTLLS and CTLLS, I do not have either QTS or QTLS.
    I have been teaching 14-16 year old kids doing the new Diploma at College.
    I know for a fact I would not be allowed to Teach 14-16 year olds in a School Classroom because I don't have QTS, so can anyone tell me if I should be Teaching them in a College Classroom without QTS? The only difference is the building in which the lessons take place!
    I'm Confused - any advice would be appreciated, so thanks in advance.

3. You could teach in a state school as an 'instructor' without OTS, but with qualifications or experience in a specific subject. We have had several instructors taking lessons for many months while waiting to get a place on a GTP programme.

4. Hi, I had a PGCE for FE and worked within the sector for 10 years before obtaining a job in a school. I was paid on the unqualified scale, but passed the GTP within 4 months and then moved on to the main pay scale, so it is possible.
    Bouga

5. Yes, PTTLS, CTTLS and DTTLS all train you to work with anyone from 14+ in a college, but not in a school.