1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachin Australia

Discussion in 'Primary' started by domtem, May 28, 2012.

1. Can anyone help me? I am about to finish a primary pgce year and I would like to teach in Australia for maybe a year?
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible at this point in my career and what type of visa I would need to apply for?
    Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Can anyone help me? I am about to finish a primary pgce year and I would like to teach in Australia for maybe a year?
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible at this point in my career and what type of visa I would need to apply for?
    Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

There are some posts on this in the OTT forum and from what I have read there it is not easy to get a teaching post in Australia. Think you would have to complete your NQT year for a start.There are some Aussie teachers on that forum.

4. Hi, I'm a primary school teacher in Australia. The above poster is right, it isnt' easy to get a position here although it does differ from state to state so can only really speak for my own (Western Australia). You will need to apply to the department of education for the state you are planning to move to and they will assess your qualifications. You usually need a 4 year teaching degree, or a 3 year undergraduate degree plus one year teacihng qualification. GTP isn't recognised in WA, and I don't think anywhere else in Oz. It is pretty much impossible to get a permanent post here as a new teacher, particularly if you don't have permanent residency) and I know teachers with years of experience that say its very difficult for them too. Your best bet is to register with a supply agency (or relief agency as it is known here) to gain experience teaching in the local area. This is what I did. When applying for jobs in public schools here, you actually apply to a pool and then they find a school with a vacancy - as a new teacher you are expected to go anywhere, usually to rural areas out in the bush, and it is just accepted that you 'do your time'. You can of course apply directly to independent schools, but it is competetive. As for visas I'm not sure - I think if you're under 30 you can get a one year working visa pretty easily, otherwise you can apply for a skilled migrant visa but this is costly and can take a long time to be granted (also, I don't think teaching is on the list of required occupations anymore). Hope this helps, feel free to message me if you want any other advice.

5. Forgot to add - re: NQT year, I'm not sure what happens with that at all. You should probably email the department of education for the relevant state and ask. They will get lots of UK teaching quals coming through so they should know what you're on about!

6. Thank you! That is really helpful. I was thinking of supply teaching actually I just did not know where to start. I have looked into Visas and I think the working holiday visa is best for me. Do you know of any supply agencies in WA that I could look at on the net? I have not had much luck finding one.
    Thanks again.

7. No worries, I think the one I used was called class professionals. Do a google search keeping in mind that they are RELIEF teachers here, not supply.

8. I will definitely take a look. Thank you so much for your help!

9. You're welcome! Good luck... I'll warn you, there's a LOT of paperwork and bureaucracy involved in registering to teach here but once you've done it, it's worth it! I love Australia and haven't looked back.