1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by halfajack, Sep 13, 2012.

1. I am going to agree with all of this, for the most part.

I will say that over the last 10 years (and I've been teaching for 20), that I am seeing a HUGE amount of resistance to professional development in most teachers over 30. They simply refuse to adapt and incorporate technology into their work. In ANY other field, this would be considered CAREER SUICIDE, but in teaching it seems to be the modus oparnadi.
    Most teachers today are teaching FAR BELOW the level of their students, simply because they REFUSE to learn how to use tech that their students are already familiar with, in order to more effectively teach.

I can't think of any other single profession in the 21st that has refused to adapt and update, more than teaching.

I think there's a whole lot of teachers that will be replaced in the coming decade, who can't even muster the level of education that can be found on YouTube, or Kahn Academy.

2. I am sorry to say, it is becoming the profession that a lot of people do not want to do for long or even bother to train for. The endless jumping through hoops, the paperwork that is another full time job ontop of teaching and marking, I originally went into eductaion with the view to train as a teacher but to tell the truth I would not do with job for £100k a year.
    It is just to stressful, I have watched wonderfully brillant teachers, who inspire and help children achieve, give up the will and quit, I have watched teachers burn out and have breakdowns, I have seen impossible targets be set for a year group to achieve and then everyones fault but the childrens when they fail.
    Because I think you will find that no matter how much prep and knowledge a teacher provides a student if they do not want to learn they will not and if they turn up for the exam and only put their name on the exam paper and their heads on the desk, how can it be the teachers fault. I have also seen teachers marked as unsatisfactory by senior management for ofsted to come and give then good with outstanding fetures/elements.

The reason moaning happens is down to the fact people are tired, feeling used and abused and to tell the truth neglected.

3. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

What utter b******s! You need to get out more.
    In the last decade and more, I have made myself familiar with ...
    • word processing
    • other applications such as spreadsheets
    • desk top publishing
    • internet access and applications
    • digital smartboard and associated applications
    • blogging
    • the dreaded powerpoint
    I could go on ...
    I've done all of this myself because my employer's CPD is pi$h and lags behind technological change by years. On the other hand, I have endured innumerable IS days full of utter mind numbing rubbish with post it notes, flip charts and so called leading professionals spouting utter mince such as "Brain Gym". Need I say more?
    When I started teaching, the most advanced technology we had was the banda machine (google it!) and I can think of few other professions which have adapted so well to change. Meanwhile, we have continued to raise standards and that in the context of huge distractions in terms of pupil behaviour, incompetently managed curriculum reform etc..
    If older teachers (such as myself) are cynical, and if some mof them are a bit weary of itall, that's the reason.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You mean the useless, unreliable technology available in most schools?
    Being able to play computer games to level 9399 does not equate to being technologically superior to their teachers! In my experience most pupils can barely type their own names on a computer keyboard and seem to believe that technology is solely for entertainment.
    I'm heartily sick of unreliable technology which requires me to always have an alternative lesson plan available...one that doesn't rely on technology!

5. I am an NQT plus 1 and I am 33, I couldn't agree with you more. The perception of teachers as lazy moaners is perpetuated by too many people who have gone school, college, university and then back to school. This can also cause an atmosphere no different from the childish playground games and whispers I remember from school the first time around.

6. I understand that teaching is a job. And yes, you have a right to whine about things. In a world that seems to be willing to hold athletes and politicians up to scrutiny as role models, it is rather depressing to think that teachers are not willing to be role models and lifelong learners.
    I am currently introducing a small school to the use of an LMS, and I have teachers who do not even have a cellphone, wondering why they cannot connect to students. The students make fun of them and have no confidence in their teachers' know.edge. And why should they? The world is changing and edition, which should be he most flexible and dedicated of professions is filled with people who think their job is important only as an income.
    Sad.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Wow. There are loads of new posters tonight!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

...and they don't half talk bol locks.

I can't help but wonder how these amazingly dedicated teachers come to know so much about their colleagues' "life experiences" or, indeed, how many of them have no experience outside of education. They are almost certainly making their ever so humble judgements on the basis of their own arrogance and ignorance as I can see no evidence whatsoever of interest in or empathy with those people they work with.
    what this thread does is provide the evidence - if any were needed - of why there is so little solidarity amongst teachers in times of trouble. Teachers spend far too much time judging each other on spurious and puerile grounds.
    I'm mildly amused by the fact that not owning a mobile phone might be evidence of a lack of professionalism. It obviously hasn't occurred to the numptie that they are not actually one of life's essentials and that many of us survived several decades of our lives not only without mobile phones but without landlines! As it happens I do own one but fought the good fight until my youngest was a less than obedient teenager difficult to keep tabs on! I was in my twenties before I had a landline!
    So far as I'm concerned pupils need not - and should not - know whether or not their teachers own a mobile phone. What possible grounds could there be for them to know that?
    Obviously some superhero teachers for whom teaching is a vocation have a very high opinion of themselves and have no need of our admiration as they have more than enough of themselves without us contributing.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Really?
    I bet the staff are thrilled. Perhaps they're hiding their mobile phones from you!

10. I am a school-uni-school teacher and I knew I always wanted to be a teacher. I don't understand why so many people moan on here. You will always find people that care, people that don't care and that's the same in any business or school. There is nothing wrong with working hard to get into the career you want to do. Isn't that what we tell the children? We are a demoralised profession enough without us doing it to each other.

11. It translates as "I'm a *****"!

12. Colleagues to whom I said this were always shocked. First it was: "But I thought you enjoyed the job" or something of the sort. When I said "Yes, but I wouldn't work if I had a private income equal to the average main-scale teacher", there was even more shock: "But you have to work. You can't just laze around." True for me, but there are plenty who could.

What shocked me, however, was that these teachers, hopefully trying to satisfy and further stimulate whatever intellectual curiosity their pupils or students had, did not, apparently, have sufficient themselves to contemplate the pleasure of being able to spend their lives satisfying it to the fullest possible extent.

13. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Poly, I don't quite understand what you're getting at here?

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Airy, I prefer jonowens response [​IMG]

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I suspect that s/he is referring to the fact that doing the job because you need to pay the mortgage etc does not equate with not enjoying the job (or even with not being good at it). Also that most of us would not do the job at all if we were in a financial position (a private income equalling a teacher's salary) to give up working.
    It takes a very poor imagination to believe that give up your job necessarily means you're going to laze around doing nothing. When I retire I'll be sufficiently busy to wonder how I fitted a full time job into my life! I have several retired friends for whom this is the case - not all of them teachers!

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It does. It also shows a complete lack of involvement (or lack of motivation to become involved) in a wide range of non-teaching related activities.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

What? You mean the kind of stuff which gives you "life experience"?

18. The idea that teaching is a vocation is the biggest threat to professionalism. I love my job, I'm good at it but I wouldn't do it for free and I won't put up with a continuing erosion of my terms and conditions of employment just "for the kids".

19. Well said Airy. In my previous incarnation I was a freelance illustrator, I don't know how many times I heard the word "talent" used to describe something similar in meaning to "vocation." The implication being that I was somehow compelled to produce artwork and that speedy remuneration or even a worthy amount of pay was somehow secondary to that. In the end the only thing I felt compelled to do was to get out of that line of employment. The notion that "you can't help yourself" is a dangerous one to hold about any job.

20. You got the message.
    When I jumped at the chance of early retirement with enhanced redundancy (FE reorganisation) many colleagues were concerned I might not be doing the right thing, mentioning that some people felt at a loose end, that they had lost their status and so on. I reassured them and became as you anticipate. First, I have 4 small grand children, who would occupy even more of my time if they didn't live so far away. Then, retirees are seen as having time on their hands, for which many people can suggest altruistic activities. Hope you have a great time.