1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers would consider working abroad to improve work-life balance

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 3, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘Almost two in five UK teachers would consider moving abroad next term if the right job came up, new Tes research reveals.

The findings raise the prospect of a catastrophic migration of talent overseas, at a time when an increase in pupil numbers is putting extra pressure on schools to retain staff.

Analysis shows that teachers at the beginning of their career are particularly keen to make a quick exit with almost half (49 per cent) of those who qualified three-to-five years ago willing to leave Britain at short notice.’

Would you be happy to quit teaching here and work abroad? If so, why? Are you a teacher who is now working overseas? What is life like for you now? Do you have the same pressure, problems and demands in the country where you now work? Behaviour is apparently better abroad, but have you found this to be the case?

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-two-fifths-teachers-would-quit-job-overseas

2. -Maximilian-

-Maximilian- New commenter

Yes. Still looking into it and waiting for the right job. Probably Dubai, Hong Kong or similar. There seems to be some attractive packages out there. Academisation has ruined education here. Little pay increase over 8 years, micro-management, poor attitude to learning and increasing demands from an ever growing SLT resulting in a rising workload are the reasons. Plus, recently my time-table has increased and I have never had so few free/PPA sessions resulting in even more stress and workload. No one cares about staff well being anymore, so I might as well as go and work abroad and get a load of tax-free money for doing the job. My only concern is loss in pension, plus if I come out for 5 years I move off my current pension status. If I was young, I would be off tomorrow.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

If I were young, free and single I would be applying for jobs abroad. Not so easy with a partner who has a non-teaching job whose income we need, school-aged children and a mortgage. I have taught in several other countries when I was younger - it was definitely better - but having said that, I think teaching in England used to be better too.

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I would maybe change the conditional tense ‘would’ to present tense ‘are’!

agathamorse and woollani like this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

Rush now, before Damien makes RQTS stay here for five years first! Not that it would affect you, but others will doubtless end up caught out.

6. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I’m old, not free or single. Am considering a 2 year maximum contract to end my career. Freeze my pension and take it ARB on return.

-Maximilian- likes this.
  7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Bessie, I think it's people in situations like yours, or with strong ties to friends and family, that UK government relies on to stay and go down with the sinking ship that is UK education.

However, it never ceases to amaze me that a good number seem to adopt the attitude of Voltaire's Dr Pangloss. And, of course we have the bleeding heart liberals, desperate to still be kicked in a spot that hasn't yet been bruised.

Mrsmumbles, agathamorse and JL48 like this.
  8. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher New commenter

An ex colleague did just that. Hubbie had retired, kids left home, she applied for an English teaching post somewhere (I forget where) in Asia, spent 2 years living near a beach teaching occasionally in an International school.
    Came back with a large wodge of dosh (her words!) in the bank, took her pension and was very happy.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Interesting thread. Where are these foreign jobs advertised?

10. navigatehk

navigatehk New commenter

Dave's ESL Cafe is where I found my first job. I hear that Search Associates and Schrole are also good places to look.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Yep, well said David. Maximum gold stars for alluding to 'Candide', the fictionalised nightmarish 'best of all possible worlds' b.s universe I have been making analogies with for a while now. Glad I'm not the only voice! The current system is beyond mad. How far does the abuse and exploitation of teachers need to go before people strike? Will the next MAT, 'Body and Soul Endeavours Trust' perhaps demand voluntary organ donations by teachers as well? Let's all be like Pangloss! How far can they push it, and how far will teachers take it, I wonder. But, as Gibby ad Govey always said/say/have on record loop, it's the best of all possible educational worlds, dontcha know.....

agathamorse likes this.
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Considering and doing being entirely different things!

“ ...a Yorkshire-based supply teacher who is looking for a job in Singapore or China, where she says classroom behaviour is better, ”
    But be careful of what you wish for. For chinese teachers pay is poor, status low, working hours higher and there is little in the way of support or benefits.