1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers workload cut by 5hrs in the last 3yrs

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Jun 21, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

SummerSkies likes this.
  2. costermonger

costermonger New commenter

I wonder who they are trying to kid?

SummerSkies likes this.
  3. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Clearly al those teachers who are now cleaning in primary school will we doing an extra five hours

SummerSkies, Catgirl1964 and Sally006 like this.
  4. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Well, unless the data is fraudulent, it has been gathered from teachers, so we can't really negate it. I don't know what my own workload has been: some weeks I seem to never stop and other weeks are easier, probably like most of us. I would guess it's about the same, perhaps erring to the slightly less as we have less departmental rubbish to do than last year now that we have some good schemes and plans in place.

That said, I voluntarily do quite a bit of stuff with some kids out of school time, but i wouldn't count that as I don't have to do it if I don't want to.

Pomza and agathamorse like this.
  5. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice New commenter

I suspect we can add a zero to the reduction in many teachers’ working hours over the last few months!

agathamorse and SummerSkies like this.
  6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

With this government? Anyone want to place bets?

agathamorse, Piscean1 and SummerSkies like this.
  7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I would. All governments spin - none better than the nauseating Blair + Campbell team! - but I don't believe that they often knowingly and deliberately falsify data that they then release.

agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  8. costermonger

costermonger New commenter

Aww, you are so adorable when you are being naive :)

SummerSkies likes this.
  9. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Thank you. <blush> ;)

But it was a serious point - we aren't in China and we have lots of investigative journalists around. It is extremely risky deliberately to falsify data that will get into the public domain, and I really do think that it is rare.

10. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

May I recommend listens to More or Less, a Radio 4 programme?

Try this one https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08dnd81 and listen from 12 m 24 seconds on. I'll be interested to know whether you think this is just 'spin'.

11. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

From that article

Teachers and middle leaders in primary schools reported working an average of 12.5 hours during weekends and evenings, down by 5.0 hours compared to 2016. For secondary teachers, this came to an average of 13.1 out-of-school hours, a reduction of 3.8 hours compared to 2016.

Its a fair comparison of data but when you add that we are contracted for.32.5 hours per week that means the average secondary is doing 45 hours a week. Seems a bit low to me.

12. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Between 2010 and 2016, primary assessment and the curriculum changed rapidly. The 2014 curriculum was introduced, changed, reintroduced and then finally assessed for the first time in 2016, around the same time as the phonics screening check was bandied around as a snappy new idea. Since 2016, things have broadly stayed the same. So actually, primary workload probably has steadied in the four years since then.

13. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Weapons of mass destruction anyone? Sex it up and all that. You ARE kidding, right?

14. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

Absolutely not.
    Teaching online is taking at least as much time, often more.

agathamorse and steely1 like this.
  15. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

No, I'm not kidding. I did say "often". The WMD thing was clearly a conspiracy that several countries were involved in, and thought they could get away with. They nearly did!

But in general, workaday matters, it's a massive risk, which is why I don't believe that in the case in point in this thread it will be, or has been, done. I think the figures will stack up.

I accept that others may disagree. That's cool. It's free opinion!

Pomza likes this.
  16. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Thanks for the link, @Josh7 , but it won't work for me. I have no intention of registering with the BBC, and though I rate much of their output, I distrust most of what they broadcast on any matter that touches on the political.

Maybe you could summarize the point you wanted to make?

17. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I’ve seen a massive cut in workload across a large number of schools, due to the shedding of pointless old marking and planning requirements.

mrajlong and Jonntyboy like this.
  18. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

He means substitute, not add: he knows full well there has been ZERO reduction in teachers' working hours for the majority of teachers in recent months - quite the opposite.

agathamorse and steely1 like this.