1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers working abroad can solve UK teacher shortage

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/let-teachers-work-abroad-solve-retention-crisis

Letting teachers work abroad could help to solve the staff-retention crisis, according to the Council of British International Schools (Cobis).

Chief executive Colin Bell said a survey by Cobis found that nearly half of teachers in international schools (47 per cent) had previously been dissatisfied with their work at home.

Nearly a third of those surveyed, most of whom were British, had been considering leaving teaching altogether when they moved abroad.

Giving teachers the opportunity to go overseas was “a way of retaining colleagues within our profession overall”, Mr Bell told the Girls’ Schools Association annual conference today.

I am struggling here. I cannot seem to follow this chappie's argument that teachers working abroad can solve Britain's teacher recruitment crisis. Many teachers choose to work abroad to escape Britain's dysfunctional education system and I accept that this keeps them in the teaching profession but not here where their home country desperately needs them. Having tasted life in international schools, many vow never to return to the British system. Is Colin Bell talking a load of old b* llocks or is he trying to convince us that British International Schools are actually benefitting British schools by 'poaching' their staff? I think the latter is probably nearer the truth.

tonymars likes this.
  2. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I am baffled too, unless he means that by going abroad teachers have not left the profession, which they might have done had they stayed in the UK. How this helps the supposed 'retention' crisis I do not know. It is like feeling proprietorial about your potato peelings, once they on the municipal dump.

agathamorse, tonymars and Shedman like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I suspect that even if every teacher working overseas willingly came back to work in a mainstream school, there wouldn't be enough of them to make very much difference.

Shedman likes this.
  4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I think that you are underestimating quite how many British qualified teachers now work overseas.
    In 2014-15, it was about 100,000. It has increased substantially since then.

tonymars and Shedman like this.
  5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Trust me, the vast majority i know have no desire to every return.

6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Is this thread a wind-up?

7. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

I am a qualified primary teacher but not currently teaching . However , I have every intention to teach abroad as and when my own
    Children have finished their schooling here ( wouldn't wrench them abroad now, despite my fears that this system is affecting them detrimentally )

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

No, but I thought the original article might be!

9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

D they mean allow them sabbaticals to go abroad and then return? I can't see where in the article it mentions that but have no idea what else it could mean.

10. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

They wouldn't want to return after experiencing life as a teacher abroad (ie. actually having time for a life outside teaching)!

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Yes, I realise that's likely true - for many at least.

So what on earth does it mean?

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I think what he's trying to say is that if teachers go abroad to teach then that is preferable to people leaving teaching altogether. Exactly how this benefits British schools though is beyond me.

sparkleghirl and agathamorse like this.
  13. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I think I've got it!. If expensive experienced teachers sod off abroad to teach, then it benefits British schools as the wages bill is reduced because they can then employ Cheap-First NQTs to replace them.
    Therefore, there is more profit for the business.
    Simples!

14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Blindingly obvious and I missed it!