1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teachers with tattoos

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by wellard, Apr 20, 2011.

1. just wandering people's opinion on teachers having tattoos

2. Perhaps not the best interest to pursue if your English isn't great.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Ha ha, I was wondering about that too. My opinion on tattoos is that you should always do a spell check before having any words permanently embedded into your body!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If I can't see it and don't know about it then I don't mind.

If I can see the names of all your sexual conquests in a row along your arm, together with pictures of their genitalia and a score out of ten for their performance, then I'd be a little concerned about examples being set.

5. This man, Bruce Potts, teaches in America without problems:
    [​IMG]Also there is the Scary Guy, who has appeared on Teachers' TV:
    [​IMG]

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I see no need to debate or fuel any form of prejudice relating to peoples appearance.

7. I agree but it is a topic, it would seem, that occurs every year on various forums.
    It's interesting how many people have different ideas. I did a topic on this in my GCSE English class and was amazed at how staid the students were!

8. DaisysLot

It is indeed a reoccurring topic - which bemuses me, as it surely can't be that much of a fixation?? It is as random and judgmental as my declaring that I object to women with short hair, men with long hair, women in trousers or men who wear cravats... or have an ear pierced. Surely in this century and this multi-cultural - lifestyle cultural rather than race, society, we are beyond shallow judgement being made on appearance?

9. Yep, people are shallow, so what you gonna do - run a one-person crusade or get real?
    It's one of those issues like wearing your hair in rainbow dreadlocks or deciding thighboots and micro skirt is every man's right. It will attract notice and comment from shallow people, who employ you.
    In addition the nuances placed on aspects of appearance are complex and changeable among the youth we teach, so you might unwittingly find yourself identified with a street gang.
    Whereas if you keep your tattoo / dress-up habit private, nobody need know and its not an issue at work.
    Back in the 70s, it was the question of men having one pierced ear. Very fashionable, but having the 'wrong' ear pierced showed you were gay. Easier just not to do it. And cowardly, shallow etc etc but gets the mortgage paid.

10. DaisysLot

I am very lucky that I don't work with such people - It hasn't always been that way in previous places. As for shallow folk, my methodology is either to ignore completely or politely point out the shallowness of their concern. Charity work is always an option if one has time spare to donate to more worthy causes.

11. I am a teacher with tattoos- nobody at work knows and ever would know.

houserabbit- in my opinion it does not spoil skin. It is my body etc etc

12. frymeariver

frymeariver New commenter

I just wonder where OldGreyWolf's street gang full of men dressed in thigh length boots and micro skirts are from. Wherever it is I don't think I'll be going...they sound scary!

13. DaisysLot

I agree.... after all I have long since stopped worrying about the teachers with leatherette skin from sun bedding it up to mahogany colour :p

14. I know somebody who trained as a primary teacher who has a fair amount of tattoos. However, they are all covered in school so nobody needs to know about it. As long as they aren't highly visible, on your neck or hands or offensive, nobody is really going to mind.

To the person who says tattoos are ruining your skin: they're an art form and many are spectacular. It's like wearing a painting on your skin every day. Obviously it's an individual thing, but lots of people don't regret their tattoos and many do look beautiful (in my opinion).

15. I'm a primary school teacher and I have star tattoos on my left arm (amongst others elsewhere). In work I often wear my shirt sleeves rolled up with the tattoos on display. I don't have an issue with it and can't see why others would. A tattoo has no connection to my ability to ensure that children in my class make adequate progress. Children notice the tattoos and ask what they mean, and then the issue is over.
    If people have an issue with tattoos thats fine. It's a personal thing. But dont' tell me I can't have mine on display. The HT and SMT have never made any comments, and I don't think they would. My response would be that my having tattoos is far less damaging to children's education than staff who come in stinking of cigarette smoke or the perpetually absent due to "ill health".
    It's seems the response of some people is, "If I don't like it, let's pretend it doesn't exist by hiding it away". This just perpetuates their own ignorances onto the children they teach!

16. I have quite a large port-wine mark on my right forearm. I have been asked to cover it up on a form photograph as, from a distance, the HoY thought it looked like I had a tattoo.

17. He looks stupid. Years ago if you treated your body like this you would have been sectioned as being in need of psychiatric help for such obvious self abuse.

18. I know how you feel. Our daughter came back from working in Thailand with this awful god-figure with lots of arms, which covers most of her back. I am sure that she will regret having this done. It breaks my heart when I catch sight of it.

19. At 42, I understand looking at your child and thinking they have "defaced" themselves somehow with a tattoo..
    But... I also have tattoos, quite a few actually and as they are all meaningful to me, I do not regret a single one.. For me, they are meaningful additions and see nothing wrong with them at all..
    Does my mom like them? No, she never did, but rather got used to them... I would also have NO problem in either of my children having tattoos or even piercings ( as I have both, it would be a bit hypocritical of me, really, wouldn't it?!) and if they decided to, I would advise them as best I could to be sure they would not end up regretting them.
    In my opinion, if you have a tattoo you regret, it was a mistake and not thought about enough... Again, my opinion, but I feel too many people have a drink and get a tattoo and they are usually the ones that regret it, I'm afraid...
    My SMT have never had issues with my appearance in any way and hired me as I was, tattoos, black clothing ( no, not "gothic" as such, but I have always worn black) and oh, I forgot to mention, and my long crayola flaming red hair. :)