1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers with dyslexia

Discussion in 'Personal' started by AlexanderSellers, Oct 19, 2015.

1. AlexanderSellers

AlexanderSellers New commenter

Hello all,

I hope I'm reposting this here, following pepper5’s kind suggestion...

I have just commenced my final year of my BA (Hons) Childhood Studies (Top-up) at City College Norwich in association with The University of East Anglia. For my dissertation, I am considering conducting research into teachers, particularly those in primary, who have Dyslexia and their methods of overcoming their own barriers to learning and their supportive and creative pedagogical approaches.

I was wondering if anyone has, or knows of Teachers with Dyslexia and how they find working in education or how teachers without dyslexia feel about teachers with dyslexia, for example, are there any particular areas in which they excel or find more challenging?

I would be grateful for any information or opinions on this topic.

Many thanks,

Alex Sellers

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Try the SEN forum. You may have some success there.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

You can spot them at toga parties.
    They are the ones dressed as goats. :D

4. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

They tend to be teachers of non written subjects!

5. MissGoodison

MissGoodison New commenter

I have dyslexia and I'm an English teacher In a high school. I've found I've struggled most of my life, I wasn't found to be dyslexic until I was in college and by that time It was too late and I had just struggled on through, but I've found working in higher education doesn't put a lot of pressure on me. Yes I might have students say "Miss you've spell....on the board wrong"....ok not a big deal, tell me how to spell it then...1.they show they can spell and 2.it shows I'm human. A lot of my students are away of my disability and they are amazed that I was able to get an English degree all the same. I find it actually inspires a lot of my students who struggle with English. When it comes to day to day tasks I find I just follow a lot of the rules we give the students, I get a dictionary, I get a thesaurus or I actually just STOP and THINK about it. Yes I have to think about 4 times harder than someone who's not dyslexic but I can do it. Also I very often get my lovely colleagues to check things for me if they are going out to students/partners/carers just to make sure everything is as it should be.

ScotSEN likes this.
  6. AlexanderSellers

AlexanderSellers New commenter

Would those who have replied mind filling out a questionnaire for me please?

Please click on the survey link below:

http://goo.gl/forms/hzG4JG3Ord

Alex

7. Gerard12

Gerard12 New commenter

Dyslexia comes in many forms, and should be treated as such. Some most creative people have the condition and also some of the most criminal, because they aren't understood. I should know.