1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers with Autism

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by surreyalpaca, Aug 23, 2020.

1. AlpacaTeacher

AlpacaTeacher New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I am about to start my Secondary SCITT training and have autism, are there any of the community who are already teachers with autism, who could with provide any usual advise on general teaching, noise, behaviour managment, anxiety, environment etc.

Many thanks

2. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

I don't have autism so can't advise from a personal point of view. Have you looked on the National Autistic Society website for some guidance?

Here is the link:
    https://www.autism.org.uk/professionals/teachers.aspx which mostly provides guidance for teachers working with children who have autism, you might find some of it useful as you could adapt it for yourself.

There's also a forum on the website, and there's a post which you might find useful:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/14838/are-you-an-autistic-teacher

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

You should arrange for reasonable adjustment through your student needs agreement. We have done things in the past such as having a quiet space to go to in the school for study, marking and so forth. It’s about recognising where your autism affects any aspect of your teaching or training and ensuring that, if possible, reasonable adjustment is made.

I am aware of autistic teachers on Twitter and a customary scrape of the search function should enable you to identify positive connections to be made.

4. Anon12322222

Anon12322222 New commenter

Hi I'm in the process of getting assessed for autism but I am training for primary. :)

5. rsc12

rsc12 New commenter

Hi, late to the thread but I am a secondary teacher with autism. I found that keeping my University up to date was very helpful, I had issues with my second placement as the lights were LOUD and nobody else seemed to hear them, if you know, you know. When that happened I went to my placement coordinator and asked her if I could move, and since I'd been open about being autistic at the beginning of the course they were very accomodating and found me somewhere else where I didn't have meltdowns from the noise of the lights!

I think this would be the case for anything you may need in terms of accommodations for sensory overload/meltdowns/ anxiety etc. I hope this helps.

Edited to add, I haven't had any issues personally with classroom noises from pupils, some behaviour management issues but as long as you are very consistent (something I personally am fairly good at, following rules to the letter!) you should be fine.