1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers with Arthritis?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by soph_the_loaf, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Dear all,
    This is my first post on TES, so I'm not sure if I'm in the right place!
    Anyway, I am beginning my PGCE in Secondary English in September, and along with the usual nerves and worries, I also have a medical one.
    I am 22 and have rheumatoid arthritis, which I was diagnosed with aged 7. It has been very well controlled and on a day to day basis does not bother me much, however I am worried about starting my PGCE placement. I know teachers are on their feet all day long and get very tired, both of which exacerbate my condition.
    I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there experiencing the same kind of thing, or if there are any more experienced teachers who have any hints or tips for managing this in the best way possible?

Thanks,
    Sophie :)

2. PM me

3. Hi Sophie,
    I'm a 27 year old secondary Maths teacher with an arthritic condition - feel free to PM me.
    Best wishes
    Whistler

4. Hi Sophie
    I also have rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed during my PGCE year!) and have been teaching (in primary) for the last six years. It's not always been easy, but my RA is also quite well contolled and I've managed to not let it noticably interfere with a very successful career (at least so far!).
    I would be really happy to chat to you about it - feel free to e-mail me on rachael_e_wood@yahoo.co.uk if you have anything you'd like to ask me.
    In any case, very best wishes for your PGCE and future teaching career!
    Rachael x