1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers who use euphamisms

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Hazel Catkins, Mar 16, 2011.

1. What was once called 'discipline' is now 'behaviour management','difficult' behaviour has become 'challenging' , a 'noisy' class is 'lively' and 'insolence' is 'cheeky'. Am I the only person to feel that these euphamisms may soften the reality for those who use them, but do nothing to alter the situation for me as a supply teacher? I would much prefer a school's support than this 'woolly-ing' of plain English regarding the behaviour.

2. Too true....but a school is hardly going to comre out and say 'Watch out for this lot, they are a bunch of sh*#tes are they?
    You have to learn to speak euphanism, tiresome though that may be. And as for a school supporting you... get real!!! They always manage to point out that little Johnny has issues just <u>after</u> he has called you something unspeakable or trashed the classroom.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Are euphamism and euphanism both euphemisms for euphemism?

Oops, 'scuse me, just need to nip out and strain me greens.

4. You get the odd realist who'll tell you "this class are a nightmare - just survive the session" though!

5. No, I just couldn't spell it.

6. True, or they say something like, "They were terrible last time for their usual teacher, who is recovering from a nervous breakdown."