1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers wearing braces

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giggirl, Oct 29, 2011.

1. I wouldn;t give it a second thought, many of the pupils have braces and you'll be able to share your experiences, mouth ulcers etc etc!

2. you're both an example to your pupils and (depending why you have braces now) a warning to those who aren't taking the orthodontist's advice when younger. what's not to like?

3. Was a long thread about this a few years ago. Personally, wouldn't worry about it too much.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I thought yo meant braces upon trousers..was going to say that fashionable.As to the other i would saygo ahead.......most kids will accet it..in the end tey look at the person not the problem.

5. you could get the 'invisible' braces - like the ones Tom Cruise had...

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I had them about 4 years ago now for about 14 months in total. I told my close friends and department and my form and some kids who asked (actually that sounds a lot!). Mine were the full on train-track type, but were teeth coloured and blended in very well. I occasionally had a child ask me "did I really have braces?", I had to show them, they were so discrete.
    People either just don't notice them or don't care, it was actually seeing many kids in my form who had them and the approach to them by others that made me make the decision. Best decision looks-wise I ever made, wish I'd done it years ago, I smile far more frequently now, and another member of my department has since had them too, apparently inspired by me.
    You'll feel very self conscious at first, but no-one else will bother at all, make sure you get plenty of wax when you get them fitted and when you go back, tell the orthodontist about any little pains you have, you don't have to put up with it, it's mainly easy to fix and the ortho will be more than happy to do things to make you comfortable.
    I found this site very helpful:
    http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/index.php
    Good luck, but you'll be fine.

7. Before I opened up this thread, I thought the subject under discussion was braces for holding up trousers.!

8. oxfordblue

oxfordblue New commenter

I wore braces for 3 years as a teacher, and there were no problems.
    I did warn my class the day before I had them taken off as they had never seen me without braces on!
    I have full on train tracks as the invisible ones weren't an option for me.