1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers vs Students

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by poloriain, May 24, 2011.

1. poloriain

poloriain New commenter

Hi All,
    I'm working in a school that use to have an end of year sports match between students and teachers, sometimes football, basketball etc. It was all a bit of fun and often a great way of helping staff and students mix and develop relationships. However we have justhad a new head take over and ban this happening due to health and safety. Just wonderingdo other schools have these games or are they banned everywhere?
    Like I've said they were fun, friendly games and not taken too seriously by anyone. In this day and age should these type of games go ahead? I've seen them happen throughout my training whether it was 5 a side games in the evening with students or younger PE teacher joining in with students during lunchtime kickabouts.
    What are peoples thoughts on this?

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Staff v student games have not been allowed in the UK since the mid 1980s so your new head is quite correct
    AfPE says, "Staff- pupil matches should not be arranged due to the risk of injury to pupils. Matching of pupil strength, experience, previous experience and confidence is a pre-requisite of good practice. Case law indicates that where adults have participated competitively with pupils – in lessons or matches – claims have been successful."

3. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

bigfatgit is correct. The Health and Safety guidelines state that you cannot run staff v pupils/students matches. This has been in force for a while now.

4. ...think we ought to start spelling dyspraxic correctly, chaps!
    My fault (or 'my bad' as the little *****s are saying..).
    Stoppers - started doing a bit of rugby at the 'old school' now. Have to admit, I still partake in the odd drill....
    Different teachers, different methods...

5. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Oh, dear BBB
    The court cases of 1984 (including Affutu-Nartoy v Clarke) sounded the death-knell for staff v student games
    Many of them are not allowed under the specific rules of governing bodies and negligence claims have been successful because the guidence of BAALPE (and now AfPE) have not been followed. Several cases rested on the specific wording of "Safe Practice in Physical Education"
    If I were in the UK, I would not touch them with a bargepole
    As an aside, if you do take part and you cause an injury (whether foul play or not) then not only you but also, through vicarious liability, your HoD, your headmaster, your head of the board of governors and your local education authority (and, in some cases, the governing body of the sport) can be found liable. Not a nice thought

6. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

It's all well and good that it's been banned in the UK, but I would say that simply makes being able to have a faculty/student game one more benefit to teaching internationally.
    I have taken part in numerous such volleyball matches over the years in the US and overseas (7-0!!!) and they are great fun for everyone. My wife and I coach volleyball and still being able to beat our starting teams 2 vs. 6 becomes a greater pleasure with every passing year (granted I don't teach the senior high schoolers anymore, but some of them are still taller than me).
    Sound out the new head, see if they fancy themself at any particular sports, then suggest THAT one. If it doesn't work, you have my sympathies as staff and students are missing out.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I guess non-contact sports such as volleyball, tennis, table tennis, badminton, cricket etc are less risky.

8. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

I used to thoroughly enjoy staff / student rugby matches. Especially the year I got to lay out the obnoxious teacher who gave me a week's worth of afterschool detentions after catching me and my girlfriend at an 18 movie when we were only 16!
    He also grassed me up to my mum - which was a bigger punishment than the detentions
    Being abroad now, we have several staff / student games a year - there is very little chance of litigation in Egypt (but more chance that one of them has got his hands on an AK47 since the Revolution)