1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers views towards Systematic Synthetic Phonics

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tomjoyce, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Oh, now I see. A word containing a particular phoneme can only be spelt in one particular way?
    Goodness, this phonics thing is difficult to grasp, isn't it. Even for people who think they know it inside out!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You very good at making assumptions aren't you nerlly

3. Is there a special term for a letter which doesn't constitute a phoneme, then? Like the k in knee, as an obvious example?

4. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

You have no idea...

5. Msz

A little bit of background before you make a fool of yourself
    masha has devoted her life to reforming English spelling (she would like to simplify things to make the code more transparent )

6. Msz

kn is a spelling for the sound /n/

7. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Before?

8. Msz

point taken

9. Thank you, that's helpful.

10. if you follow the gospel according to Marsha, yes.

11. Not at all. I understand that this is a private joke; it's probably best to keep it that way. I'm assuming (because I'm good at it) that it's only going to grab the imagination of phonics-only fanatics.
    If you concentrate for a moment on what I actually said, you might be able to see my point. It doesn't matter if Maisie's alternative spelling is deliberate or not. It is an example of someone insisting on a particular grapheme for a particular phoneme, even though the actual spelling uses a different grapheme.
    Even if you could see my point I doubt that you would admit to such a thing or enter into any sort of debate. It has so far been my experience on these forums that people who champion the phonics-only approach have a tendency towards unpleasantness and are unable to maintain any sort of discussion without resorting to sarcasm and spite. I suppose I should feel pleased about that, because I am not one of them. But you're all teachers - or is that another assumption I shouldn't be making?
    I hope the OP has got the answer to his question. I feel, however, that he may have learnt more about the phonics-only approach than its enthusiasts intended him to.

12. Msz

surely that should be
    if U follow .......[​IMG]

13. Msz

making assumptions is a bit like trying to read using picture clues ...you often end up completely missing the point [​IMG]

14. This insistence on calling a user by the wrong name reminds me of children's name-calling and you could probably make a case for it violating forum rules of conduct, as it arises from an attempt to ridicule.

15. No, thumbie. Just applying her rules consistently. Like she insists on mispelling the word 'you'. Which really upsets many TES posters.

Would you like to try the mods with my mild ridiculing? I'd be interested to have their judgement.
    Believe it or not, I have actually felt sorry for Marsha on occasion because some of the people who attack her can be quite ignorant and obnoxious. I don't even have any problem with her thesis, that the opaque nature of English orthography makes English more difficult to learn. But she's flogging a dead horse and it gets very boring.

16. Might some of those obnoxious people have made an appearance on here? Such as the individual who turned up earlier purely to exercise his sneering muscle? Given the choice between someone with wacky ideas and someone with a repellent penchant for belittling other people, I know which I'd go for.

17. If anyone presents it to the moderators it should be Masha. She probably doesn't think it's worth it.

18. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Oh dear. And you think some people are obnoxious?

19. Well, yes. Particularly those whose only contribution to a discussion is to sneer at others. I explained this in an earlier post.

20. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

You still have no idea, despite the attempts of others on this thread to acquaint you. Might I suggest a little more experience of TES forums would lead to a greater understanding?
    Oh, I forgot. You don't actually need experience to know how to do things, do you, nerlly? [​IMG]