1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers using their personal devices

Discussion in 'Independent' started by moontitan, Aug 28, 2020.

1. moontitan

moontitan Occasional commenter

My daughter borrowed my iPad from March until July to teach on teams. The school she works at had asked teachers to use their own phones/iPads/computers.

They have now asked staff to bring in their own device from September inside the classroom.

Does anyone know if they can expect this? Is it reasonable. She doesn’t want to use her phone due to share screen perhaps accidentally revealing something personal. The battery on my iPad dies out faster. Surely there is an insurance issue?

2. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

This is not good practice. Only school devices should be used as the teacher may need them to take photos of children, e.g. to send parents photos on Seesaw to show what their children have been learning. Many (possibly most) schools ban teachers' personal phones etc from the classroom. There is also the issue of who is insuring staff's personal equipment. Why should staff risk their phones, laptops etc being stolen and consequently losing their own family photos, sensitive banking information, contact lists etc? The school's request is not reasonable and should be resisted. If necessary, unions will support the staff being pressured to comply with the school's demands.

3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

It's bad enough having to have my phone on me for every time the school's systems want me to verify my password...

4. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

I never take my phone into school so it wouldn't work for me and I don't have a tablet.
    What happened to 'never take anything home on a memory stick' for security reasons?

LadyPsyche likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I thought your daughter had a new job for September. You posted about her new school fairly recently.
    https://community.tes.com/threads/gdpr-for-teachers.805645/

And posted that you'd had to buy a laptop to teach in May, and sort out extra WiFi as you don't generally use either. Yet now you say you've had an ipad for ages and lent it to your daughter?
    https://community.tes.com/threads/wifi-for-personal-or-work-use.803618/

jarndyce likes this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Your daughter should just say she doesn't have an iPad/computer of her own so can't bring it in.

If school asks what she used March - July she says she shared yours which was OK when she was working from home but she can't bring it into school because you need to use it during the day.

This is a school saving money by not buying IT that teachers will need to do their job. What next, can you bring in some extra chairs and desks?

Yes there is a potential insurance issue. Every policy is different but somewhere in the exclusions it can exclude property you take out of the house and use for a business purpose. But even if it doesn't if you take your phone in to use for teaching and it gets stolen why should you claim on your policy and risk an increase in premium. Get written confirmation from the school that they accept liability for all loss or damage while your phone/laptop/computer is in school.

7. moontitan

I have 2 daughters and a son, all are teachers. I bought an iPad eventually on the advice it is easier to mark on. Happy now?

8. moontitan

9. install

install Star commenter

No. No.No.

And they can’t . It’s unreasonable and it may break data rules if student details are stored on personal devices.

Don’t let your daughter bring it in. It’s best she says she hasn’t got one to save hassle.

Catgirl1964 and moontitan like this.
  10. moontitan

I have told her what has been said on this thread. She is going to tell them she doesn’t have personal technology that she can use anymore. She will be in her second year of teaching so she is not comfortable saying she will not use her own tech. Thanks everyone.

MrLW1, install and Catgirl1964 like this.
  11. Bentley51

Bentley51 Occasional commenter

In my opinion, if the school don't provide what is needed for the job, it doesn't get done. Webcams and microphones weren't provided at first until the parents started complaining that their child was only getting Google chats/hangouts for instruction/interaction. The school soon sorted it out and got us webcams...

We are provided with laptops/PCs though, which does make life much easier!

jarndyce likes this.
  12. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Rumour has it that our place are not replacing laptops but are just putting desktops in classrooms. Not sure how that will work, except that I won’t be able to work at home at all as I have no iPad or laptop. I have a mobile phone but couldn’t do work on that!! It’s one way of not being able to work in the evenings!
    Planning on the back of a fag packet here I come!