1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers TV closing

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Maths_Mike, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I am sure Mark already has copies. In the case of maths4real the license agreement does not permit making the video available to others on a private website and in any case streaming videos of this size would require a dedicated high speed and expensive server.

(many other and all Teacher TV own videos have a different licenses and can be downloaded for personal use but maths4real only has a viewing license not a creative archive license)

Website closes on 29th april

<u></u>

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

for quite a while the Maths 4Real have been non-downloadable so I only have 3 of them. The 20 programmes can all be bought in one go on a DVD for £80 from 4Learning. I have downloaded all of the Maths videos off the website, as have a group of people at L4L.co.uk.

3. £80 sounds cheap enough. Did Teachers TV commission the videos? It seems a bit of a mess to have all of the different licensing standards, it would have been much better to make them all publicly downloadable on a non-commercial basis.

I notice it's possible to enter into an agreement to make the videos freely available. I did childishly wonder if I could apply a voice over to some of the more outlandish (non-maths) content there;-)

4. arsinh

arsinh New commenter

I have the Maths4Real double DVD. I filled in a 5 minute survey for Channel 4 and they let me pick anything I liked from their catalogue for free.

5. I downloaded all the Maths4Real videos (both series) a few years ago and their supporting worksheets. I checked out your site but don't have time to upload them just now. Please remind me if I don't get to it in the next week or so! :)

6. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

I contacted dfe and offered to host all of the maths content - which would have ensured its free availability to all. The reply? Nothing at all.
    TES have agreed to host all of the contect and make it available through this site. Nice to see it going profit making sites [​IMG]

7. Well done for trying Tandy and sorry to hear of the outcome.

8. Hi Tandy - We'll be making the Teachers TV material available on TES free of charge. As the ex-Digital Director of Teachers TV it's a subject close to my heart! The DfE are making all the Teachers TV content available, but there are a number of conditions to the distribution license which means you can't just 'host and forget'.
    For more details on the license you can contact the TTV team at the DfE.
    Our strategy with resources is simple; find the best content and make it available. All of our resources are downloadable for free. I'll let you know when the TTV materials are up in the resources area - It'll take a little while as there's so much of it to get.
    Andy - Head of TES Resources

9. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Thanks for your reply, Andy. I am, of course, fully aware of the terms and conditions that are being imposed on the distribution of the resources. Pity they didn't have the courtesy to reply to my email - I'm certainly not in to "host and forget" as you imply.

Of course it is great that the resources will remain available, and if it had to be anywhere, then TES is as good a place as any other. Teachers will get access for free. But it is still sad, in my opinion, that millions of pounds invested in these resources from tax payers' money, will now be handed over to a commercial organisation such as TES for profit making purposes - I understand that access will be free, but hosting the resources will still bring in revenue to the TES by increased web traffic and therefore higher advertising revenue, not to mention the boon that this will be in the printed version TES - at a stroke the TES resources benefit for huge investment. Fair play, the TES is a profit making organisation and it should be doing this. As I said, just saddened (though not surprised) that DFE haven't bothered to explore other avenues.

10. So someone with a close personal involvement with Teachers TV, who now just happens to work for the TES, manages to snaffle the lot and as Tandy comments, drives more revenue to TES. Don't you just love big business?

I feel for you Tandy, the least the DfE could have done would have been to reply to your email.

11. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

siddons_sara, you've worked in the public sector long enough to know that it's not about doing what's right but about following the correct procedure.
    The process for putting this material out would have involved someone having to vet potential applicants as being "suitable". This process would have involved several tick boxes and a large media organisation would have ticked a great many of the boxes regardless of what their actual suitability might be.

12. goatherd

goatherd New commenter

c Tandy's original points about the publicly funded materials going for a song to a commercial organisation still stand.

And TeachersTV was also a commercial organisation, which got its money from the government to produce the material AND MAKE ITS PROFIT.
    What is the difference between Bob Geldof's (?IIRC) company using the material to make a profit, and TES doing the same?

13. Not much, other than that Teachers TV actually organised production of the materials and so added value.

What would have been so wrong with them going to a non-profit making organisation or simply being taken into public hands and hosted by the DfE?

14. The message that appears several times in the FAQ about the demise of Teachers' TV talks about the programmes being made available "on a non-exclusive basis", which presumably means they could be hosted in a number of different places. This makes it even stranger that no-one bothered to reply to Tandy.
    Presumably TES will be interested in the lesson resources. As others have said, this is fair enough. Will the CPD programmes appear here too or will we need to find them elsewhere?
    I don't understand why "hosting and forgetting" is a problem. After all, the web2.0 bits of the Teachers' TV site were awful. The few sensible comments were drowned in the spam (and not the sort of spam that sometimes appears on here, but the real, computer-generated spam that include a link to something utterly irrelevant).
    The big, ridiculous thing about this whole farrago is that resources that I could find previously and that very many teachers have linked to in their teaching, in schemes of work and on VLEs have moved. Let's have a reality check here: every single person who uses these will either now not use them (so all the millions spent on them is wasted) or will need to find out the new web address for them. A government that bangs on about "freeing teachers from the burden of bureaucracy" is forcing teachers to waste time finding new links to resources they already know about. How utterly pointless.
    I have got an even better idea. How about a website devoted solely to the Teachers' TV resources? Let's call it something snappy and easy to remember, like "Teachers' Television". Job done!

15. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

With respect I think some of these comments are a bit harsh and lacking in commercial awareness.

Running a website with the bandwidth to allow high quality videos to be downloaded would certainly not be free and to be honest I very much doubt Tandy's site would have the required capacity?
    secondly there is much more thaqn just maths on Teachers TV - was tandy offering to do the whole site or just the maths bit?

The whole point of closing the existing website is to save the cost of running and maintaining it. You cant simply (even in mouthballed fashion) keep something like this running for free.

So if in return for providing a valuable services TES make a bit of advertising revenue - so what?

16. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Hi Mike

Emaths is more than capable of hosting the content - there is a lot more there than meets the eye, including dozens of other website. It would not have been a case hosting it for free, my server is very expensive, but that I would have met the cost of the hosting out of my own pocket as I have always done with the site. So it wasn't a technical issue with the solution. I offered to host the mathematics materials only and was going to link them to the interactive schemes of work amongst other things. Heigh-ho, not to worry.
    I have no gripe with TES hosting them, I've always been a big supporter of this site. But... I think the way in which the DfE has handled the process has been lacking and I do think that not-for-profit organisations should have been given the engaged.

M

17. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I totally agree. Never the less I cant help feeling the long term future of all the teacher TV stuff is better placed on a site such as TES were its long term future is assured as opposed to a privately run site which may or may not exist in x years time.

18. Tandy

Tandy New commenter