1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers to spot mental health problems

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Jun 17, 2019.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

2. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Note to self, as you cannot edit the thread title spell it correctly the first time!

lardylegs and MacGuyver like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Not amongst colleagues! Nobody gives a sheet about THEM!

Don't doctors get paid more than teachers? Good news about the pay-rise then! Mental health diagnoses and treatments? That's another £25K per annum, I'm assuming.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I read it is only new teachers who will be trained thus...so how long before all schools & pupils are 'covered' by a 'trained' teacher? o_O A decade?;)

lardylegs likes this.
  5. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I'm sure teachers will look forward to their mental health spotter training, and adding it to the other great ideas of jobs teachers can do apart from their actual job, like security guard, patting down students for knives, Saturday tutor etc etc etc etc.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

As I said in an earlier thread. Once we have spotted all these kids are they going to invest the money in the professional help they will need?

7. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Parents? Shouldn't they be spotting signs first generally?

Laphroig and agathamorse like this.
  8. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

I have seen this reported on tv a lot in the last few days. I notice there are no teachers interviewed.
    The PM hopefuls even mentioned it like it was a good thing.
    Only a matter of time before teachers are carrying out minor surgery.

agathamorse, Piscean1 and Sally006 like this.
  9. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

It won't be 10 years until all schools and pupils are covered by a 'trained' teacher because many new teachers resign after 5 years!

10. slick

slick New commenter

It is to be applauded that mental health is given the priority that is necessary.... BUT whilst schools are driven by targets.... teachers are driven by targets..... students have the constant pressure of mock exams and then the looming real exams (numbering over 20), it is no surprise that mental health is a real worry.
    What about mental health of teachers?
    Where are the resources and funds available for support for students? Referrals within my area take up to 9 months….

11. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

There was an MP on telly yesterday saying that teachers spotting mental health issues is a good thing. He then produced a graph illustrating the post code lottery of help available for students with mental health issues. It made a mockery of the whole thing. Most students would need to wait at least 6 months before seeing a mental health professional AFTER the teacher identifies a problem.

Pre-election nonsense.

12. gainly

gainly Established commenter

Could this be another excuse to get rid of "untrained" experienced teachers and replace them with a "trained" NQT?

lardylegs likes this.
  13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Maybe...but are there enough of them? Will class sizes rise and/or schools start going part time as they can't safely operate 5 days a week...

14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Every school will have to have a Mental Health Ambassador. Because there is no way that any referrals can be dealt with quickly enough.

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  15. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

There will be lots of teachers who will do the post for no pay because it will be good for their career development and they can put it on their CV.

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  16. doteachershavesuperpowers

doteachershavesuperpowers Occasional commenter

You know it's going to end up with the children being taught by someone on a TV, teaching several classes at once.
    Something else The Simpsons predicted.

17. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

so teachers are now expected to spot potential extremists and terrorists via prevent, pupils susceptible to gangs and crime, now being trained to spot kids with mental health issues, which im sure we can to some extent, HOWEVER, the job spec just keeps on growing! the more it does, the more it takes the focus away from good teaching and learning.

lardylegs, agathamorse and blazer like this.