1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers to receive 3.1% Pay rise...or do they?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by LouisBurrows, Jul 21, 2020.

1. LouisBurrows

LouisBurrows New commenter

Hi all,

Hope you are all well.

I'm sure by clicking on this link that you have seen the government announcement regarding the pay rise that the sector will receive as of September of 3.1%.

However, this morning, they have stated that new teachers will receive 5.5% and those at the higher end of Main Pay Scale and on Upper Pay Scale will receive 2.75%; meaning that the 3.1% would be a pay rise 'on average' of 3.1%.

How might these percentage increases look like on the Main Pay Scale do you think?
    M1 - 5.5%
    M2 - 5%
    M3 - 4.5%
    M4 - 4%
    M5 - 3.5%
    M6 - 2.75%
    or something to that degree?

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

As all new teachers are set to be at least £30k in two years time, I am surprised M1 is not going up more this time.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Good point. If M1 is going to be £30k from September 2022 - the government's promise - that'll mean something around an 8% increase in M1 in 2021 and 2022.

Stiltskin likes this.
  5. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

I wouldn't be surprised if they fudge it and give out a non-pensionable first year bonus to NQTs rather than actually raise M1 directly.

Piranha likes this.
  6. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

Attached Files:

7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Whatever we get, the DT doesn't believe we all deserve it.
    The teachers who didn't rise to the challenge should give their pay rise to the unsung carers
    Teachers will get a 3.1 per cent pay rise - but it's workers from the unsung private sector who are the real heroes, writes Allison Pearson....