1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers to be offered cash to stay in school

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nomad, Jan 28, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I always thought the cash incentive was called... pay?...

I am so out of touch clearly.

2. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Excessive workload. I have family members who are Primary and others are Secondary teachers. Primary and Secondary schools appear to be two completely different worlds. Primary car parks are usually still full well beyond five pm, whereas most Secondary car parks are practically empty by three thirty. Marking in Primary is always ridiculously onerous and time consuming, whereas the marking load in Secondary appears to be minimal.
    Get out and do something else with your life.

3. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Marking in secondary is not minimal and you have lots of book scrutines different groups of various ability and ive never managed to leave at 330 and rarely before 5pm. When i get home normally i do another 2 hours work per night to make the minimum expectation

agathamorse likes this.
  4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The issues of teaching will never be solved until several matters are resolved
    1. The workload is examined and realistic marking, corrections, etc is actually set.
    Do we really need endless lists of 'proof' tick books, Do children need all books marked every day and all days. In primary thats 60 books alone for English/Maths with detailed feedback 2 good points and a wish, or in some case follow on work which children have to complete. That's 60 books x say 10 mins each=600 mins a day! It is not possible! Yet we are still asked to do it. and often noted marking as the child works is not accepted.
    2. Teachers are considered trustworthy. We basically are not anymore if we constantly have to be scrutinised and monitored,
    3. Ofsted. It was a clumsy tool to look at the function of schools inner working. At worst, condemnatory and at least a snapshot on the day. I have often called Ofsted the robber of teachers souls. So much of what effects teacher is due to heads sucking up to demands, that if they don't do this or that they fail and increases the pressure on schools to be draconic on its staff. What in the end what happens to all this collection of information other than form a file a Dof E file on a computer somewhere, and be compiled to profile the so-called advance of education...and then compared to systems in other countries which are not compatible or not fully understood. the result of such is then used by governments to beat the schools and the teachers. by suggesting they are not really as good as elsewhere in the world,
    4. Money. Wages have not grown with even basic inflation. The savings of the Government do not result in efficiencies in schools, but in a form of penury for schools and teachers as they are cut off from the money which enables them to employ and reward staff and set up projects and plans.
    Money shortages which mean costs are pared and many teachers seeing themselves being pushed out as new cheaper teachers arrive in
    Teachers are unable to live in shortage places due to poor pay. Is it only me who remembers teachers being offered re allocation allowances into London at least.
    5.Management. Here I do not mean just academies v state schools but the over criticism by government agencies to heads seen as profligate or failing. Within the schools to control this plague of constant inspections of teachers, The essence of which seems to be critical rather than developing and helping the already over-pressured staff to grow in competence and to develop skills
    6. Educational notions and aims
    As teachers, we develop ways and means to overcome learning problems. We deliver a body of knowledge or practices. We seek to inform and educate those we are given charge of in the limited time we have charge of them. Yet, so often, it is not the needs of the children that inform our judgements and methods, rather the view of some official who deems we must teach some things more than others. Really? Are positional verbs really needed in say year 6? Do we need to be teaching gender studies or checking lunch boxes because they might have too much salt, sugar or chocolate,
    Ths is not to say misbehaviour is not a pain to teachers,but at the same time how can we compensate for a society that fails to teach the necessary values needed to achieve or as part of socially growing up together.
    I appreciate these are only a basic view of the problems and there are many arguments for and against practices and opinions. Yet in days gone by we survived, we delivered and we were treated as professionals. So why can't we do the same today?

5. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I have fully retired now (probably) but in the very last job I had this time last year, I was teaching around 340 students every week. Think about it for a moment; not only teaching in all but four periods in a week, but having to write comments in 340 books every week, having to add responses to comments in 340 books every week, having to hand in book samples every week, know that at anytime, clipboard-bearing SLT will march in and observe any lesson at any time and then grade me, this despite most of them being barely able to make an attachment to an email (I taught Computing and maths). There were duties and clubs, meetings and planning on top, and dealing with the personal issues and problems youngsters have. I was constantly exhausted, all the time.

Even allowing for 5 minutes a book, that is 1700 minutes of book stuff every week, over 28 hours every week, just on comments in books, which to be frank, were useless and pointless compared to verbal feedback, and took far longer. Point this out, and SLT always come back with the same stuff; OFSTED need it, professional standards require it, your pay rise has to be justified, others do it without complaining.

These workload tasks are not those of trusted professionals. This was not what it was like when I started teaching. Is it any wonder that teachers as they get older just can’t cope and quit as soon as they can find an escape route, and that many younger ones just give up within a few years of starting, or look to go part-time when they can?

This is what is meant when teachers complain about workload.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. scilady

scilady New commenter

That makes the time spent doing it directed time.........head will run out around now! Union reps need to sort out such heads.

megsie likes this.
  7. scilady

scilady New commenter

Not being blamed for the bad behaviour of spoiled kids would help too !

Eszett, megsie, lanokia and 1 other person like this.
  8. scilady

scilady New commenter

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is this trolling?

10. fraisier

fraisier Lead commenter

What lanokia, you didn’t know that??!!! (what schoolsout4summer describes) :eek::eek::eek:

Where have you been in the last three decades?!!! Everybody knows that Secondary teachers have next to no marking to do, have very few (small) classes to teach and generally little to do, that they are not subjected to fortnightly ex-book scrutiny or somesuch, that they're hardly accountable to anybody, don't have to show any evidence, don't have to "Ofsted-proof" their lessons etc. I'm really shocked you weren't aware of that lanokia.

Didn't you know either that Secondary teachers waltz in just before doing reg. at 8:30am, go out most lunchtimes as boredom is unbearable and they’re all out of the door by 3.31pm like lemmings, to such point that it generates traffic jams of teachers' cars in larger schools. Surely you are winding us up lanokia, aren't you?

That’s why retention levels in Secondary schools are so fantastic of course, student teachers are queueing up to work in Secondaries and every vacancy in any Secondary attracts dozens of candidates precisely because it is well documented that Secondary schools are places of great shirking and ennui where the lucky sods who work in them have nada to do apart from teaching the kids. It is even rumoured that teachers are so idle in those schools at lunchtimes, during their many frees etc. that they bring board games to while away the hours. You should be ashamed of yourself lan for doubting schoolsout4summer.

agathamorse and Oldfashioned like this.