1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers to be offered cash to stay in school

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nomad, Jan 28, 2019.

1. mistermanager

mistermanager New commenter

If bursaries are going to be offered I would suggest these are rewarded at the following intervals of service... 10 years, 15 years, 20 years, 25+ years. This would be more meaningful and relevant. To offer more money to these young teachers at only 3 and 5 years is a joke, rewarding short-termism (5 years is not long in anyone's book).

thekillers1 and agathamorse like this.
  2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Come on Damien you can do better than that, you were talking about dealing with workload in your second year. You have in one stroke created devisiveness in the teaching work force by your stupid bonus system. You have already extended the ITT process for NQTs with the expectation that the experienced staff will take up the slack in terms of the extra 10% ppa and mentoring. Here a suggestion bring back the original model for UPS, 5 points up to £10,000 extra and all academies have to offer it in their pay scales.

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

or just reinstate the moves up the pay scale that rewarded loyalty and increasing experience.
    Maybe I've missed something but where is this extra money coming from?

cissy3, TEA2111, lardylegs and 2 others like this.
  4. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Schools' budgets. So; teacher gets to near end of 3rd year or 5th year managed out to save a bit of money, then bring on the new fodder.

a1976, lardylegs, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  5. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

As a primary RQT, I'm just going to point out that we don't benefit from any of this! It's all directed at secondary.

Frankly, you could throw a bursary at me and I still wouldn't want to stay. I want some genuine, realistic change in workload and a cut in the excessive stress. I think maybe doing something other than teaching and sleeping would be nice. I've wondered what weekends are for some time now.

I would like to have a greater number of experienced colleagues to seek advice from. I would like to feel that, this early in my career, I'm not expected to be this amazing finished article but rather... Somebody in the early stages of their career.

None of what he's doing hits the mark for me. I don't know how so many of you have lasted so long but hats off to you!

6. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

It’s interesting to see that in the new Ofsted proposals, NQTs will be recognised as being new and the challenges that ensue (something to do with observations, I think).

The statutory Induction Year requirements also say the same thing.

HOWEVER, as is often the case, this isn’t practised by those responsible in school.

This needs to be reviewed for RQTs to meet their needs. The second year can be brutal.

Piscean1 and agathamorse like this.
  7. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

I recall at the start of 2000 when golden hellos were provided to secondary school teachers (and certain inner city primary teachers) for certain subjects.... all for newly trainees teachers - tax free, of course! As time progressed on, the Australian retention teachers model was examined, eg paid sabbatical year after half a decade service, transferring from one school to another after a period of time, avoiding professional deadwood. One hinderence? Money. No matter what happened, rarely any retention allowance came flooding for a majority of teachers as money was missing. Yet, paperwork had increased then and demands from Ofsted and the national curriculum had fluctuated. Different story with the same outcome.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

I still don't think anything would drastically change. At the end of the day, the entire 'profession' is septic.

hammie likes this.
  9. a1976

I've been in schools where senior leaders have literally begged for qualified teachers and experienced teachers to fill vacancies but then treat them like tripe once they get them.

agathamorse, hammie and thekillers1 like this.
  10. a1976

My thoughts exactly!

agathamorse, MarieAnn18 and hammie like this.
  11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The money they save by capabilitying out the oldies.

12. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

You can see a class action at some point in the future for all of these teachers who were moved on. It will be hundreds of millions if not billions in compensation and all Gove's fault.

agathamorse and eljefeb90 like this.
  13. thekillers1

B2A2A25A-3D7A-46B1-85D2-989BE1398B81.jpeg

cissy3, Sally006, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  14. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

By the time you've been in 15, 20, 25 years, it's too hard to get out, there's no need to offer a bursary.
    It's absolutely not fair. Pragmatic maybe, cynical definitely.

15. letap

letap Occasional commenter

If I was being cynical this looks like an attempt by the government to show that they are addressing the concerns of teachers. If there was any real thought put into this by the government there would be at least some period of consultation - you would expect some government mandarin to look at something like workplace dilemmas to get some idea of what is going on.
    It looks like all the government is interested in doing is continuing the churn of in-experienced staff. I was one of only three NQTs in a teaching staff of 80, when I started my first post and the next year there was only two NQTs. The large numbers of experienced staff was a great boon for me and their support ensured that a difficult job could be done efficiently without me burning out,whilst quickly developing confidence and experience. The very same school now has a majority of NQTs and RQTs who look continually to be fire fighting under the budgetary constraints of a head teacher who is a trained accountant and who has never taught. In contrast the head teacher I served under, was possibly the most competant and able member of staff.
    The government appears (in the media) to be throwing money at schools - headlining the supposed 3% payrise yet the reality is that most teaching staff did not receive that payrise. Mysteriously, the tax payers alliance then suddenly publishes a puff piece in the likes of the Sun/Express/Mail to say that the government has been overly generous - i.e teachers receive an annual payrise by going up the mainscale and thus should not receive any sort of pay rise.
    If the government was truly serious it would look at the changes that have occured over the last 10 years and reverse the changes that have been detrimental to the teaching profession. Some of these changes would be cost neutral and obvious - however, sadly I do not think these changes will be made because education ministers either tend to be ideological zeolots or actually not care.

16. thekillers1

Here, here!

agathamorse likes this.
  17. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I got a long service award £300 and something! 25 years with the county. I can't have it until I leave the county or retire! I don't think it's index linked, I'll have to find the letter.
    Oh I also got one day extra leave; had to take it on an INSET day lol.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Long since past the 25 year mark and heading for 30. 26 in one LA and not even a card or a letter for the years of service. Speaks volumes doesn’t it? No one values loyalty and experience in Education. What a sorry sorry state it is in that they are having to resort to cash bribes!

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  20. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I got that golden hello which was nice but it was not tax free. It paid for a family week in Spain

agathamorse likes this.