1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers to be offered cash to stay in school

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nomad, Jan 28, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47023665

Cash incentives and a better work-life balance are part of a new attempt to solve England's teacher shortage.

Plans published on Monday by ministers will offer some young secondary teachers £5,000 in their third and fifth years in the classroom - on top of initial £20,000 training bursaries.

Young teachers could also have some protected time for extra training.

Head teachers' unions said more help for young recruits was essential to tackle the crisis in teacher numbers.

Currently, teachers in subjects with shortages, such as physics, chemistry, and languages, can receive a bursary of up to £26,000, but there are no further payments.

The so-called "early career payment" scheme, which rewards teachers for staying in the classroom, has already been trialled for maths teachers.

install likes this.
  2. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

So no money if you've actually got experience then... nothing meaningful in terms of workload either;
    "For the first couple of years in work they are being promised more support in training, and a reduced timetable of teaching."
    Wonder where those hours of support will come from if not from the already overworked, more experienced staff.
    "That could mean an hour or two a week of protected time, around 5% of the timetable, for teachers in their second year."
    Bet the NQTs will be drooling over that reduction in workload!
    "Education Secretary Damian Hinds says he also wants to reduce the mounds of paperwork that leave teachers demoralised. "I think teachers work too many hours - aggravated by unnecessary tasks like excessive marking and data entry, spending more than half their time on non-teaching tasks," he says."
    Stop just saying you want to reduce it then - reduce it!
    "That will depend on the school inspectorate Ofsted delivering on its recent promise to not ask for so much data to be collected. Minsters want head teachers to push back against Ofsted if they think demands for paperwork are unreasonable."
    I didn't realise the head teachers told Ofsted what to do, I always thought that was the ministers' responsibility?

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Did you hear that the 10% reduction in timetable and the 3 and 5 year bonuses have to be paid by the school out of their budget!
    Lol. 5 NQTS and that's half a teacher.
    Who wants a year 3 teacher when the bonus is due?
    And lastly, freshly minted teachers are not leaving the profession because they aren't getting a couple of grand extra. Schools already give them bumps up the MPS. They are leaving because over promoted and unscrupulous leaders are burning them out on the alter of the unjust capability rule.

Eszett, cissy3, MarieAnn18 and 19 others like this.
  4. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I've often thought teachers should be offered an incentive such as having their student loans reduced by, say 20% for every full year they spend in a state school.

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I don’t know who advises this bloke or is he just thick - do something about workload, make a decision for a change. The government just keep tinkering with bonuses which probably will be related to performance management, part time working because teachers will probably work full time for part time money.

Just let the ship sink I’m fed up listening to these plonkers.

cissy3, bertiehamster, a1976 and 7 others like this.
  6. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

So yet again somthing i miss out on

So no pay progression
    No pay increases with cost of living
    No golden handshake (missed that by a year)

Now none of the new ones to stay in as im in my fifth year
    Still cant afford a house due to PM targets being insane and moving schools

I do get much longer work hours than before
    More expectations
    But of course im only here for the kids and not to earn a wage in accordance to all the training ive had to do.

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

we were once all given a grand to promise not to resign within 18 months

a1976, needabreak and agathamorse like this.
  8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

What if he said, no ofsted insepctions?
    No work scrutiny?
    No learning walks or observations of your teaching?

(This is Finland if you didn’t know)

What would the retention rate be like then?

9. Windywillows

Windywillows New commenter

I am an experienced (old) secondary science teacher who knows only too well the massive increase in pointless workload that has occurred over the years. I also know someone in primary teaching who is in her twenties. She and her fellow teachers are still being forced to mark every single piece of work every single day and they wonder why teachers are voting with their feet. Why don't the government just reduce the unnecessary workload rather than pay it lip service and make headteachers do as they are told. The recommendations are on the DfE site but school management are just ignoring it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/reducing-workload-in-your-school

megsie, cissy3, oldsomeman and 10 others like this.
  10. -Maximilian-

-Maximilian- New commenter

I can’t believe that I waited to see what the glorious recruitment and retention strategy was going to be, as they have been lauding it for a while now. So, it amounts to a few quid extra for new teachers, an extra free for them and some cobblers about part-time workers applying for jobs together! Whoopie woo - problem solved! Meanwhile, those of us with 10+ years get nothing, like the below inflation pay rise this year. As someone who has had enough (ever since my school upped the teaching timetables to 45/46 lessons out of 50 a fortnight), this is another smack in the teeth.

TEA2111, agathamorse, Alice K and 3 others like this.
  11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Give it until mid-May and they'll be offering food and toilet rolls to lure people into schools.

Eszett, cissy3, Sally006 and 10 others like this.
  12. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

45 they can do, but not 46 if stcpd conditions. Union.

-Maximilian- likes this.
  13. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Lol. Adds to list of reasons to give it all up. Extra large classes for us experienced teachers to take up the slack from the nqts, mentoring/ support sessions on top.
    Only fair if we all get a bonus for our 3rd and 5th years of teaching.
    Breeding resentment.
    I already resent the ITTs who get a bursary £25000 untaxed, meaning for their 10 month course they take home more than UPS teachers monthly for an average of a lower than 50% timetable over a few of those months. One of those months is observing us! Observing us and taking home 2,500 for the trouble.
    Oh, and then they go off and teach abroad, not considering English state schools at all.

Sally006, TEA2111, eljefeb90 and 8 others like this.
  14. mistermanager

mistermanager New commenter

This is an absolute outrage... Why should young teachers who are 3 and 5 years into their careers receive a nice bursary... I am 11 years in and never got any such thing! Also, what about me... can I not receive a nice bursary for being over ten years in? Surely my long service and experience are worth more? I am genuinely outraged at this.

15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm sure there have been mutterings about bonuses in the past. With the exception of UPS, they never ever came to anything as I suspect these ones won't.

a1976, nomad and mistermanager like this.
  16. roman_eagle

roman_eagle New commenter

Christ, it's made me feel more demoralised than before (I'm another with over ten years teaching experience).

bessiesmith, a1976, lardylegs and 5 others like this.
  17. install

install Star commenter

The notion of 'early career' is media hype. This is really a retention payment to stop young teachers moving on to real careers and better pay, better bonus pay and better salaried increments.

Teaching is no longer a 'career' - it is a poorly paid job.:oops:

18. -Maximilian-

-Maximilian- New commenter

Yes, that is my next step as it’s below 10% PPA.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. letap

letap Occasional commenter

There are a large number of highly qualified and experienced teachers who are currently not teaching out there.
    I see nothing has been done to entice these people back into the classroom.

20. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Conversely, it seems that large numbers of experienced teachers with proven records over many years are now suddenly facing capability procedures or being forced out in other ways.