1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers taking drugs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by good boy, Aug 8, 2016.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

..and of course if you're a teacher in some US states you can carry a gun into class with you.

sabrinakat and slingshotsally like this.
  2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..you mean to say you can't carry a gun into class here?

Oops.

3. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

The chairman of my bank...

Thanks to my past stupidity over money and theirs over banking, I received a very good deal with them recently. I would complain your picture is cruel, @florian gassmann but I'm being generous and would only suggest he needs a lifestyle overhaul : D

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That jumper's pretty terrible for a start.

florian gassmann likes this.
  5. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

I want him to do something about his frog's legs. Yuuk...

6. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

Who hasn't reached for the Pinot Grigio after a tough day at St Trinian's?
    (Own up now, and I won't be so cross!;))

7. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

It's the caffeine addicts you've got to watch out for (the ones with the wide eyes, trembly hands and twitching eyelids). :eek:

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

....and that's just at morning break.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

For teachers? In primary schools? (Or Elementary?) How often?:eek:

Not that it would matter exactly, I wouldn't know where to find drugs if I wanted some, just am stunned that it is mandatory for teachers in any country.

mathsmutt and slingshotsally like this.
  10. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

And are here in the UK in some teaching roles.

slingshotsally likes this.
  11. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

(Drug testing)

Now drugs, today you will sit an end of term assessment.......
    (Small break - grades are in)
    Well done cocaine, you get an A.

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

13. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

Try finding a university student under the age of 30 who hasn't done drugs or at least know someone who has. My daughter's boyfriend works at a Russell Group university at a halls of residence and they have daily problems with students smoking weed. So much so, even the police turn a blind eye as apparently all halls of residence are the same...

Also, many of my old college friends who work in insurance, accountancy, book keeping and actuaries seem to constantly live a party life with copious amounts of alcohol and I suspect drugs. For those of you who have seen Wolf on Wall Street - I genuinely believe there are people in that sector who live very similar lives to the film.

Have I ever taken drugs? No. Would I ever? No. I'm too old. How would I get drugs? No idea! However, I am sure that there are thousands of teachers who have taken drugs - with quite a few still taking them now.

Is it right? Personally I think no, but that's another debate.

14. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

I'm a uni student and I've never taken any nor do I know anyone who has (as far as I know), that said I have my own house rather than living in the halls of residence.

As a disclaimer, I'm teetotal and smoke free also.

15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

When I was at a Russell Group university (the one that starts with O), the police weren't allowed into colleges without invitation; colleges dealt with many offences in-house. Of course, Tom Parker Bowles was a different story......

A steady trade was done; worse was the fact that the college GP handed out prescriptions for a variety of ills, including Prosaic, et al.

Ah, those halcyon days ;)

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Did a PSHE lesson once (actually it wasn't me it was the local Fuzz) at a school (not saying where) - it was my form (Year 7).

The rozzers (both very young) brought in a case of drug samples (I guess they were imitation) - one boy in my form could identify every single one of them !

cissy3, rachelpaula008 and sabrinakat like this.
  17. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

With the level of stress and bullying to which many teachers are subjected these days, is it any wonder that some of them seek relief in drug use, legal and otherwise?

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

If you smoke and/or drink you are taking drugs (in a way) so how many of us are not guilty?

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  19. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Drugs should be a health issue not a policing matter. These days even most cops think this, I believe.

20. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

After researching the matter it seems that the legality is irrelevant and that school boards can lay down rules about smoking/drinking/dope as they think fit. I imagine that cannabis, where legal, will gradually come into line with alcohol policy, whatever that may be.