1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers Suffer 2,346 Attacks by Pupils in Essex

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by HonestMike, Aug 13, 2011.

1. ' as he sees students who have less behaviour management skills than NQTs he won't believe it. This irritates people, hence the anger.... Is that it?'
    Some of it. But he also denigrates the experience of others, uses ad hominem language and at the same time reserves the right to deplore this in others. And he DOESN'T LIKE TO BE CHALLENGED... turns nasty when anyone sticks to their guns. I had tutors like that at college too, and I've seen the same approach in Training Colleges all over the world. Truth is, many people 'teaching others to teach' can't / won't admit that THERE ARE NO EDUCATIONAL ANSWERS to the kind of behaviour issues that are widespread in schools today.. that such issues are far wider than teachers can deal with, and especially, that they themselves couldn't handle such extreme situations. So they retreat into denial... denying the validity of other people's experience. THIS angers people; it always has. I would have thought that that kind of mentality was no longer rife in training institutions, but apparently it is. Scary.

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

To be fair to old raymondo he is genuinely trying to help. He has stated a few times that he is trying to help NQTs deal with bad behaviour, no management support and the stress that goes along with the job. Those of carrying battle scars find his suggestions of restorative justice and "understanding" the students impractical to the point of uselessness. And he is a bit patronising. His heart is in the right place but he is being paid to teach this stuff to NQTs so I suppose he is duty bound to justify his fees. He wouldnt be the first consultant to be paid to spout garbage so that the LA can say they are helping NQTs.

3. 'qatarsoon: Those carrying battle scars find his suggestions of restorative justice and "understanding" the students impractical to the point of uselessness. And he is a bit patronising. His heart is in the right place but he is being paid to teach this stuff to NQTs so I suppose he is duty bound to justify his fees. He wouldnt be the first consultant to be paid to spout garbage so that the LA can say they are helping NQTs'
    [​IMG]

4. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Not always. He refuses to acknowledge that extremes of behaviour happen. In fact he seems to constantly try and twist what is said to play the victim.
    Rather like saying the Pope is bit Catholic.
    I beg to differ, he has no business poisoning teacher training with his ****.
    More's the pity. A shame his writing fiction writing not confined to his sideline of authoring.

5. Educationalists like Soltsyek, who are deeply in denial about the atrocious, often criminal behaviour of pupils in schools, is extremely dangerous as it condones the daily verbal and physical abuse of teachers. In all likelihood is aware of just how atrocious the behaviour of schoolchildren is, however, it suits his leftist mentality, and his career, to pretend otherwise. If the truth of just how appalling schools is was made fully knownby the media, there would be insufficient numbers of PGCE students to keep Soltsyek in remunerative employment.
    I do fell a very large part of the problem here is the leftist mindset over the past 30-40 years, both by Tory and Labour governments alike, as well as the wretched EU, which sees teachers punched, kicked, spat on, having projectiles hurled at them, bitten, sworn at, threatened, racially abused, cars vandalised and, yes, riots, which have happened in schools and the trashing of classrooms, store cupboards etc.
    The truth is that, given their leftist mindset, teachers, headteachers, LEAs, politicians and society at large hasn't got a clue what to do to re-install pupil discipline in schools. The obsession with childrens' rights (only ever those who are thugs and tarts) and appeasement, never mind the abuse suffered by teachers, means that children can pretty much do whatever they want and say whatever they want, with little if any consequences, in schools today.
    Tell anyone you're a teacher and they, understandably, cringe and ask you how you manage to spend all day with abusive, foul-mouthed, aggressive schoolchildren.
    Until we return to old-fashioned discipline, and completely reject the leftist appeasement of the past 30-40 years, schools will continue to be anarchic hell-holes, packed with juvenile yobs and tarts.

6. gerryanderson
    Educationalists like Soltsyek, who are deeply in denial about the atrocious, often criminal behaviour of pupils in schools, is extremely dangerous as it condones the daily verbal and physical abuse of teachers. In all likelihood is aware of just how atrocious the behaviour of schoolchildren is, however, it suits his leftist mentality, and his career, to pretend otherwise. If the truth of just how appalling schools is was made fully knownby the media, there would be insufficient numbers of PGCE students to keep Soltsyek in remunerative employment.
    I do fell a very large part of the problem here is the leftist mindset over the past 30-40 years, both by Tory and Labour governments alike, as well as the wretched EU, which sees teachers punched, kicked, spat on, having projectiles hurled at them, bitten, sworn at, threatened, racially abused, cars vandalised and, yes, riots, which have happened in schools and the trashing of classrooms, store cupboards etc.
    The truth is that, given their leftist mindset, teachers, headteachers, LEAs, politicians and society at large hasn't got a clue what to do to re-install pupil discipline in schools. The obsession with childrens' rights (only ever those who are thugs and tarts) and appeasement, never mind the abuse suffered by teachers, means that children can pretty much do whatever they want and say whatever they want, with little if any consequences, in schools today.
    Tell anyone you're a teacher and they, understandably, cringe and ask you how you manage to spend all day with abusive, foul-mouthed, aggressive schoolchildren.
    Until we return to old-fashioned discipline, and completely reject the leftist appeasement of the past 30-40 years, schools will continue to be anarchic hell-holes, packed with juvenile yobs and tarts.
    [​IMG]

Just one thing: do you think things are as bad in European schools, and that the cover-up/denial is as acute as it is here?

7. I won't claim to be an expert on continental education, however, it does appear that British schoolchildren are the worst behaved in the world today. This was evidenced by the summer's appalling riots, committed mostly by schoolchildren, including girls, and every weekend by the hoardes of underage drinkers on our streets. I also know that elderly people are fearful of using public trasnport, especially buses, as the behaviour of schoolchidren, travelling to and from school, is extremely, aggressive, intimidating and lawless, with regular muggings and assault of other passengers. Just one example of this, earlier this year the 81 bus in Hutton, Essex had its windows smashed by schoolboys hurling rocks. Glass shattered all over terrified elderly ladies travelling on the bus. Witnesses to this crime identified the 2 culprits as wearing the school uniform of local comp, Shenfield High School. The school and police were informed of this. The school went straight into denial and the police did nowt. As chance would have it, I spoke to the bus driver, who informed me that the school and police did absolutely nothing.
    When I have visited European countries, on the whole their young people have appeared better behaved. I recall visiting the pyramids in Egypt and seeing a policeman slap a young Egyptian boy hard across the head of attempting to steal from a disabled British tourist (a fate I myself suffered at the hands of the ligh fingered hawkers here). This was absolutely right and what we could desperately do with here, as used to be the case. There are boundaries and sanctions abroad for youngsters - there are none in the UK.

Obviously the government, headteachers, LEAs and schools have a vested interest in being in denial about how just how dreadful pupil behaviour in schools is. That said, the whole process of denial and understatement is very much an English/British trait, with fear about speaking the truth about pretty much everything. As a nation we are, sadly, guilty of suffering in silence, and schools are a prime example of this. There is also a spirit of timidity amongst people in this country today, which, of course, means that the powers that be are able to cover up thre truth about schools, namely that they are anarchic, lawless hell-holes. Teachers than tend to displace, viz, heap blame on each other, rather than the real culprits - ferral pupils and their deficient parents.

I also think that the prevalence of religion abroad, Catholicism, in contrast to GB, means that young people tend to have more respect and behave better than their British counterparts. Likewise, a sense of national identity and pride. National flags fly proudly in towns, cities and villages from France to Turkey. The British have turned their backs on Christianity, resulting in the anarchy, delinquency and criminality seen today in schools and in society in general. Neither do the British/English have a national sense of identity or pride; they have been stripped of this. Consequently, today's British youngsters are, on the whole, a mindless mass of thugs.

Until we re-capture the values of the past, which seems unlikely at present, the current anarchy in schools will continue with teachers being abused verbally and physically by their pupils.

No-one, in their right mind, would today train to be a teacher. It's the job from hell !

8. feather

feather New commenter

I have seen riots in schools. Gangs and yes they were gangs running up and down the corridors throwing open doors, smashing up classrooms. Nothing was done then it escalated. A middle manage reentering school at lunchtime was set up on by 50 or so yr 10's who started pelting her car first with paper rubbish then with clods of earth then with stones. Others joined in and the police were called who drove over the school grounds in 4X4's rounding the culprits up. This was not an isolated incident.
    At the same school the toilets were blown up with fireworks. It goes on and on getting steadily more dangerous. Now you see how riots began outside the school. There was no punishment even then 2005 when money was readily available for the family, the criminal element were at work and allowed to get on with bringing misery to others. The excuses were always there poor this poor that except these teenagers were turning up with designer this and that, goods far beyond average childrens' pocket money. Poor children deprived children are in Africa not here and obviously not in the ranks of those children allowed to riot in school without sanction.
    Time to get legal, time to get tough, people including teachers have the right to be protected from criminal acts. We are looking to sue those in management who do not report criminal activity in schools. The law is crystal clear on what is a criminal act. Ignorance is no excuse and will not be heard by the judge.

9. Spot on, nice to hear the truth for a change about how hellish schools are.
    I've been in a school in north Essex where a year 11 male exposed themselves to female staff and a male deputy head laughed off this crimes.
    I worked in a school in Havering where a female English teacher was strangled by a year 11 boy. Nothing was done. Pupils here vandalised my car. I had 2 pupil witnesses. The head and police refused to take action against the culprits. A few years later in this same school a year 8 boy stabbed a female Science teacher in the elbow. This attack was reported on at the time in the national press.
    A sixth form centre in a school in Chelmsford had its new sixth form centre trashedby sixth formers. No action was taken against them.
    I worked at another school in Havering where an expelled male pupil knocked unconscious a very tough headteacher. At this same school, which had unusually tough senior management, girls set fire to the toilets.
    At another school in SW Essex year 11 boys stripped a year 11 girl to her underwear and threw her under a shower. Nothing was done about it.
    I was once assaulted by a year 8 boy in a Colchester school. It transpired that he had been previously investigated following a rape allegation by a girl. The school and police refused to take action on my account.
    I worked in an inner London boys school where the boys set fire to bins every Wednesday lunctime as they didn't like Maths that afternoon ! The school did nowt.
    No other workplace allows its employees to be so abused as schoolteachers. Heads, deputies and assistant heads and LEAs, up and down the land, are failing in their duty of care towards their staff in permitting this. There is an unwritten law in teaching that as a teacher you should expect to be abused, verbally and physically by pupils, suffering in silence. Those teachers who, rightly, speak out are persecuted by heads and senior managers as a result. Enough is enough. Teachers need to stand up for themselves. They need to take schools and LEAs to tribunals and sue the pants off of them. The unions also need to do more to protect teachers against aggressive, abusive, violent pupils and weak, limp wristed heads. This abuse also needs to be reported to the police (as useless as they are) and the press.

10. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Do please elaborate on the EU responsiblity for outrageous pupil behaviour in English/ British schools.

Please ?

11. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

Blaming everything on a "leftist" mindset is intellectually lazy nonsense. This is particularly true when you consider that you are applying that label to the conservative government 1979-97.
    If you think they had a leftist mindset then you must be so far to the right that mainstream politics is barely visible to you over the horizon...
    The right have no more ideas about how to re-instill pupil discipline in schools than the left do for the simply reason that doing so will cost more than they are willing to spend. Thus both sides are reduced to bromides and soundbites that lead precisely nowhere.
    Please explain exactly how you would bring about a return to old-fashoined discipline.

12. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

I agree almost entirely with the above except for one very important detail
    But the price is not exclusively nor indeed primarily economic but rather is it social, political and dare I say it moral.

What price any political party saying clearly that the main reason for classroomChaos in England is the attitude/ behaviour/ "values"/ lifestyle of the majority of electors ?

13. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

why on earth would they do that when they can blame teachers and/or the previous administration? They won't be called to account while there are so many people happy to blame it on leftists.