1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher's strike/ Unison members

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by milliebear, Jun 16, 2011.

1. I have a question regarding support staff (I am a teacher).
    If a school closes because of large numbers of teaching staff on strike, do support staff get paid for that day when school is closed?
    There is a feeling at my school that management may use this as a way to strong-arm teachers not to strike...

2. rosyjan

rosyjan New commenter

Last time yes I did get paid when teachers were on strike and HT closed school. New HT some teachers say they will strike, HT says TAs must come to work even if school is closed or they won't be paid. Is this crossing a picket line?

3. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Yes support staff who are available to work are entitled to be paid if the head closes the school - just as teachers are paid if support staff action closes the school. Some heads who are not themselves in one if the striking unions may choose to keep school open for staff if there is appropriate work for them to do in the absence of the children - 'appropriate' work does not include cleaning equipment or moving furniture, as some heads seem to belive!
    Incidentally, support staff lose 1/260th of a year's pay for striking whereas teachers only lose 1/365th - presumably they are paid for seven days a week and support staff for only 5 - at least this is what happened in our authority a couple of years ago when there was a strike day which involved both support staff and NUT members.
    Do not let management tell you that support staff will lose pay if you strike!

4. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

<font face="Verdana">GMB ADVICE TO MEMBERS</font><font face="Verdana">REGARDING PROPOSED NUT/ATL/PCS</font><font face="Verdana">STRIKE ON 30 JUNE 2011</font> <font face="Verdana">GMB members have not been balloted and by law cannot be called upon to take part in industrial action on 30 June 2011. Members should work normally without undermining those who are on strike.</font> <font size="3"><u>What does &ldquo;work normally&rdquo; mean?</u></font> <font face="Verdana">It means you should work in accordance with your contract of employment and your usual duties.</font> <font size="3"><u>What about picket lines?</u></font> <font face="Verdana">The Code of Practice on Picketing says &ldquo;Everyone has the right to decide for himself whether he will cross a picket line.&rdquo; If you decide not to cross a picket line because you feel at risk you should contact your manager to explain that you are not on strike but you were too intimidated to cross the picket line.</font> <font size="3"><u>What if the workplace (eg school) is closed?</u></font> <font face="Verdana">If your workplace is closed you should notify your employer that you are not on strike and you are available for work as usual, therefore you should be paid.</font>

5. rosyjan

rosyjan New commenter

Thanks Ophelia that seems very clear. I expect it will be more cleaning for us TAs as was our last so called training day. [​IMG]

6. R13

R13 New commenter

assistants should be in school on the strike day even if no children are and should be paid. As indeed should teachers who are member of the NASUT Union who haven't balloted (Which is over 1/3 of all teachers)
    In the Autumn I think we will see a UNISON/GMB strike when teachers will be in and assistants should be striking . . . .the rumour is that NASUWT teachers may choose to ballot for a strike on that day

7. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

TAs will be in school whilst NUT members are off on 30th June in my school. We shall most likely do some TA training and make use of the time without children to sort our resources out or something like that.[​IMG]

8. Thanks for posting the GMB info, Ophelia9. Better take my Marigolds in that day...

9. Our school is shut, the head has already informed us that he expects us all to go into work. The rumour is that we will be cleaning and clearing out a classroom that at present is full of old furniture, (we have enlarged and this room was used a storage centre). If we are asked to do any photocopying or work on behalf of the absent teachers do we have a right to say no?

10. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

If the head asks you to do any work which would normally be done by a striking member of staff on that day then you should refuse - if someone who is going on strike asks you in advance to do some photocopying for them for future use then this would not apply.
    Have support staff been asked if they are willing to do this moving and cleaning? Unless this kind of work is within what would be normally expected of you in your school I don't think it should be assumed that you will automatically do it - don't you have paperwork and preparation of your own which you could be doing in this time? Most TAs, in my experience, will agree to help out with this kind of task in these circumstances but I think your head should discuss it with you in advance, not just expect you to turn up and do it!

11. Our head has closed the school and classed it as a 'day in lieu' for support staff, for some additional training already done outside required hours. Is this right?

12. in short....... No