1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher's Strike -letting parents know

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Deirds, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Deirds

Deirds Established commenter

As a Stay-Home-Mum I am available to look after my children should the schools be closed due to strike action. It's just it would be nice to know one way or the other. When I was at school it affected a tiny minority who were taught by the newly-introduced male teachers - but letters went home.

I gave up today and phoned. The Head's position is "No information needs to be given to parents because school will be open and they will know this because we haven't sent a letter to say it will be closed"

I'm sorry but I find this to be breathtakingly arrogant. Those of us who listen to the news know there's a strike - we want to know if we need to make alternative provision. I understand Heads know numbers if not names. Surely you can tell us even if you are definitely open. I am so glad I am not a working parent.

Please show some manners/ consideration. We understand last minute for snow. I don't believe you don't know the position for next week.

Please tell me my son's headteacher is alone in lack of consideration.

2. Deirds

There seems to have been a change of heart - school has now sent a message to us all. As I say, I hope it was an aberration.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Reminds me of the couple visiting Relate for counselling. The wife claims her husband never says he loves her. The husband replies "I told you I loved you when we got married. If I ever change my mind I'll let you know".
    (Letters sent to parents, info posted on web site, and classes all informed, by the way...........)

4. jellandy

jellandy New commenter

Why is it arrogant to not inform parents that it is busines as usual??? The news (not crystal clear with the accuracy of information) isn't saying that all unions are taking action - those that are taking action are named... ergo those not named are not taking action.... there are more than 2 teaching unions!! And some staff (shock, horror) are not in a union. Surely it's common sense that if you are not informed of a school closure, it will be open!
    That said - this is one of those situations of damned if you do, damned if you don't.....
    Perhaps the action in the autumn term really will be co-ordinated and then there will be less confusion!

5. R13

R13 New commenter

Jellandy
    I hoped the OP's view that Head teachers were arrogant (in thinking they didn't need to reassure or inform parents) was from unrepresentative arrogance . . . .and then you write in to try and prove she's right!

6. Deirds

Thanks for the reply, Nomad. Nice to know there are some who let parents know what's happening.
    My reason for feeling the quote of the Head was arrogant was that it implied we should assume nothing is wrong. If I kept my child off school and didn't let the school know why I would soon get a phone call informing me that my child was missing. I would not be expected to give the response "well, if my child isn't in you can be sure it's for a very good reason"
    Perhaps I over-re-acted but I would have thought Heads know what is happening next week and many parents find it easier to make arrangements with a bit of notice. Perhaps schools do not have the same idea of what parents need to know as we do. No news may be good news but re-assurance really helps. (I do not think of school as a child-minding service).

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Letter Informing parents of possible industrial action sent on Monday. Letter informing of school
    Closure sent on Wednesday.
    Still waiting to hear what's happening in my own children's schools. Not even an acknowledgement!

8. jellandy

jellandy New commenter

Why is an alternative point of view arrogant? What happened to professional debate??

9. Letter to all parents last Wednesday saying that we would be open as normal.
    Letter from my son's school on Friday saying which classes would be closed.

10. Specific letter sent home to parents 10 days ago. At the same time the decision was posted on the school website homepage and confirmed on the online calendar. It has been in the weekly newsletter since too.
    At my school (primary, 2 form entry) the vast majority of teachers are members of the ATL or the NUT. Of the two who aren't, one doesn't work on Thursdays anyway and that class is taught by an NUT/ATL member. The school will only have one teacher in school on Thursday.