1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers should turn pupils into god fearing honest individuals!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by danielis13, Apr 7, 2019.

1. danielis13

danielis13 New commenter

A readers letter from the Eastern Daily Press...….discuss!

May I respectfully disagree with Iain Dale (EDP, March 29) when he says that “teachers are there to teach, not police violent pupils.

Teachers are there to do whatever is necessary to turn pupils into honest, God-fearing, decent, self-respecting, English citizens, of the sort respected the world over for just those very qualities.

If they can defend themselves properly, without becoming murderers, so much the better for themselves, their family and their country. Without such latter they are nothing, with it they are kings of the world.

Teachers should be ready for anything their pupils might throw at them and do it better. Impress the yobbos they are older than they and know all that they know and know it better and to a far greater degree.

Teachers should always wear the trappings of their calling, for in this way they show what they have done and that they can show their pupils how to do it.

A master should be master of his calling and not be afraid to show it no matter what. Only in this way can he ever hope to lead his pupils, not merely direct them.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

A lot of interesting and conflicting ideas there!

Thanks @danielis13 for sharing it. An interesting thread starter.

I think the idea of "dressing" for the profession, being a "master" and "impressing" the youth is outdated. It simply doesn't fit with the broad society of state education in 2019. Perhaps in a time when children were taught to respect their elders without question and education was a knowledge based system, these things were possible and desirable. In today's society where education must be a skills based system, and not simply a method of passing on knowledge, then there has to be more engagement on a personal level and more equality within the classroom. We need to be preparing students now for jobs that don't exist yet, to be able to think for themselves, to problem solve, to work collaboratively and to be adaptable. We can't do that simply by showing off what we know. Society is changing rapidly and actually sometimes teachers won't know and we need to find ways to work through new ideas together.

I do not however, underestimate the problems that poor behaviour causes in schools across the country and I cannot support the amount of time and energy that teachers currently invest in "directing" pupils instead of teaching them. We do have problems in society relating to respect, tolerance and belief in education but I do not think the responsibility for "turning" pupils in to decent human beings can be given solely to teachers and schools. Parents need to be accountable and also supported, projects that help vulnerable families need to be funded, schools need more money for support workers and students need more freedom to follow paths that suit their abilities and interests.

Yes, we should be aiming to turn out students who are respectful, considerate, tolerant and engaged. I balk at "God-fearing" and "English" as specified in the original letter but I agree broadly with the sentiment put forward. Being a decent citizen is more important than passing exams and I do feel this is being overshadowed by the constant pressure for all students to pass a narrow set of exams. Core skills (alongside creative pursuits) are sadly pushed aside at the moment in the mad quest for every kid to be the same, and this is an issue.

The idea of our citizens being "respected the world over" also strikes me as outdated and frankly laughable in our current political climate. I don't think respect from the outside is an appropriate goal. I'd much prefer our students to learn to do the right thing in order to make all of our lives more pleasant, sustainable and peaceful, not to live up to a caricature from the past.

Teachers should aim to "lead" rather than "direct" and I find this vocabulary useful. However, I think this is complicated in schools at the moment and that teachers need support to be allowed to do this.

What do you think?

3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Fifty years ago 4 teddyboys came to my school armed with flick knives intent on inflicting injury to the head and I witnessed a policeman smack a daft lad. We had pitched battles with 50 or more pupils from a 'rival' school, a bully chased my best friend across the estate, two older lads headbutted me and a friend as we minded our own business and there were countless one-to-ones in the playground ( never got used for playing games) . There was of course also nasty teachers who would decide thet even poor handwriting deserved the cane. None of this ever got reported to anyone beyond the school gates or by concerned parents because is was not of any interest to anyone. Today the media coverage over someone getting excluded for having the wrong haircut can get as far as national papers and internet newsfeed.

pepper5 likes this.