1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers returning to China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by amysdad, Jul 20, 2020.

1. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

The last person I knew to fly into Hangzhou ended up in quarantine in Qiandaohu (thousand islands) which is at least a couple of hours away so you really could end up anywhere really. Depends where there is room.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The reason whywe can travel freely within China at the moment is the server restrictions on inwards international travel into the country.

I don't see the restrictions on entering China will be lifted anytime soon IMHO. Shanghai Provence with a population of 48 million has zero new cases of C19 reported from within.

China is not going to open the flood gates to infectious foreigners, why should it and I fully support this when you look how Europe/America are doing. But there is a steady stream of returning foreigners with the restrictions already in place. So be patient and you can enjoy a pandemic free environment once you clear quarantine.

3. Scarlettmadrid

Scarlettmadrid New commenter

So how does it work? Once you clear customs at your entry airport, does the government tell you in what city/hotel you will be staying and how do you get there?

4. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

They don't necessarily tell you as most foreigners can't speak or understand Chinese.
    You are shown the way to a bus and driven to your accommodation for the next 2 weeks.

suem75 likes this.
  5. suem75

suem75 Occasional commenter

I've sent you a PM, detailing how the process was when I arrived on Wednesday. Really, it's efficient and simple to navigate. You just follow the route pointed out and fill in a few forms.
    It seems like everyone quarantines in their arrival city (e.g. I live in Beijing, but there are limited flights to there, so flew to Shanghai & quarantining here). They put all of us who live in other cities together in one hotel.

6. Scarlettmadrid

Scarlettmadrid New commenter

Thanks so much for your message. I haven't figured out how to send private messages to TES members. The details that you provided are invaluable. When I finally get my visa and head to China for my new job, it will be my first trip to Asia and like any new place, there's always a learning curve that is exacerbated when you don't speak the language.

suem75 likes this.
  7. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If you are heading back to Shanghai and your visa has expired for more than 3 months you need to take your medical once you arrive to renew your visa.