1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers returning to China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by amysdad, Jul 20, 2020.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Good luck to everyone for Monday, then we shall see what SHTF. Just take a big shovel into school and keep digging to keep your head above the brown stuff.

Many schools are depending on our good will and co operation but it looks like it's a one way process.

It's a total mess just deal with what ever happens with 37 weeks left of the year what can possibly go wrong.

2. Roamingcharges

Roamingcharges New commenter

3. Roamingcharges

Roamingcharges New commenter

Looks like the change from 5 to 3 days is happening the 7th of September at 00:00. As noted on the embassy website.

suem75 likes this.
  4. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

5. february31st

Its the missing expat students that is the biggest issue and the revenue stream. If a teacher doesn't turn up they will simply not get paid. If a student doesn't turn up the school will not get any tuition fees which is the biggest problem.

I know some schools who gave new staff only 6 month contracts just in case student numbers did not recover.

6. GreenGlover

GreenGlover New commenter

Perhaps its better to be in a bilingual school, where there pupils will be turning up.

7. february31st

Maybe working 200 days plus in the year, daily hours from 7.30am to 4.30pm six days a week, no Christmas holiday seems like a good deal at the moment.

8. GreenGlover

GreenGlover New commenter

I was aware of you views, Feb 31st, when I posted and it was in jest. But is all seriousness they are not all like that, and I fear international schools may have some of their freedoms removed over the next few years, for example being told not to reopen before 1 September could be the thin edge of a very big wedge

9. february31st

I was been serious about working in a Chinese bilingual school compared to been made redundant! But looking at expat numbers in Shanghai there will only be enough expat children to support 3 full western international schools, the gold rush is over. Some international schools will close or convert to private Chinese schools in the immediate future.

If you think that western international schools are getting the thin edge of the wedge, what are the Chinese bilingual schools getting? They will change from a bilingual school into a Chinese private school with less influence from western culture.

10. suem75

suem75 Occasional commenter

Is anyone else being asked for additional paperwork to supplement the PU letter? Colleagues applying in other countries are reporting being asked for 5 or 6 extra supporting documents, such as a letter from the school, or details of previous (expired) passports and the visas/permits in those passports.

My appointment in Edinburgh is next week, and I already have lots of 'just-in-case' documents to take with me. No harm in adding a few more ;)

11. february31st

There is no standard for applications across different consulates at the moment, you just have to go by what you are told yourself. The good news is a lot of applications are been approved at the moment, so my advice is to get into China ASAP.

suem75 likes this.
  12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

suem75, I had to provide copies of all my RPs and visas (including from my old passport) and a letter from the school, but HR had these and were quick to send them through. But that was in France, and I know that the UK consulates are asking for different things. As Feb31 says, they are all saying different things - but I've not seen or heard of anyone's application being rejected at this stage. The most difficult thing in the UK at the moment seems to be getting the COVID test done, and that's not the fault of the Chinese government, but is the fault of Johnson's incompetence......

suem75 likes this.
  13. february31st

Some indicators showing that it will be more straight forward to enter China from the 28th September. If you hold a valid visa you need nothing else to enter China. If your visa has expired you should be able to apply for various replacement at a visa processing centre.
    Confirmation should be made at you local Chinese Visa issuing center for details.

suem75 likes this.
  14. suem75

suem75 Occasional commenter

I saw that, too. Guessing it'll make flight availability even more scarce. My entry visa arrived today, so flight availability / cost is an acute concern right now ;)

I wonder if this announcement night be followed by opening up more landing slots especially for Beijing, or even changing of quarantine to something like 7 days 'prison', 7 days at home? (I know, dream on ...)

15. february31st

The flight restrictions where only originally to last till mid October. We will just have to wait for the next announcement.

16. february31st

Getting more reports about the visa restrictions been reduced so I would definitely check with the nearest Chinese Visa office near you.

17. Fer888888

Fer888888 New commenter

7days quarantine, 7 days at home is now available in Shanghai in you have the all-clear after 7 days https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/cjmlytoKQdHSFEU3EC6taw

suem75 likes this.
  18. february31st

The only advice the British Embassy is offering in its latest communication, is not to take illegal drugs in China!

19. february31st

Today was the first time in 6 months I have seen a significant number of expats in their usual gathering/watering holes in Shanghai. Still only 10% of the post CV19 numbers but at least I was not the only white man in the Starbucks.

Most of the conversation I overheard where in Spanish and Russian.

20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Given that the average British Embassy is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, I'd say that sounds like business is back to usual.