1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers returning to China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by amysdad, Jul 20, 2020.

1. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

I am in Bangkok and trying to get my docs legalized in the Chinese Visa Centre. Their website is down, phone lines are only recorded msgs about documents. I emailed them and they said they would 'consider' the urgency of my request and will consider giving me an appointment. That was 2 days ago. No reply since.

This is just to have my degree and police check legalized and not a visa application.

My contract starts in Beijing on Aug 1st.

Anyone else out there, in Bangkok, and did the visa centre give you an appointment to process your docs?

Good luck!

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

gilderbeast2000, are you just going to China for the first time? I'm thinking you'll be well down the list, I'm afraid....

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

In Shanghai it appears that the quarantine can be split into 7/7. Seven days in the designated hotel, after 5 days you can take a blood test that if negative means you can spend the last 7 days at home.

4. amysdad

Second round of confirmations have gone out in Beijing today and, it appears, Shanghai.

5. cupasoup28

cupasoup28 New commenter

This is very useful to know. Is it the same school in Beijing? Do you know how they’re applying for the Visa? Is it through the invitation letter? Thanks

6. february31st

I have only heard “rumors” in Shanghai regarding new teachers getting invitation letters, but haven't been able to confirm myself with reliable sources. No idea of the numbers involved or when people are expecting to arrive. Unfortunately new restrictions on where you can visit in China and quarantine requirements have also been issued today for teachers and students in Shanghai. I have only heard the name of one school that has issued second round of PU letters, but will be having a few drinks on Friday with several friends in numerous schools. I have only returned to the forum to port accurate information to my fellow professionals.

If you are a new teacher heading into China I would place a cut off date for your arrival by the 14th August. If I school in can't give you a date for arrival around then you should be looking at plan B.

International schools generally open first week in September 31st Aug or Tuesday 1st Sep and Chines Private or Bilingual schools open first Monday in September which is the 7th. Schools generally like to give new staff 2 weeks settling in time before schools start and returning teachers 1 week.

7. february31st

I have only heard “rumors” in Shanghai regarding new teachers getting invitation letters, but haven't been able to confirm myself with reliable sources. No idea of the numbers involved or when people are expecting to arrive. Unfortunately new restrictions on where you can visit in China and quarantine requirements have also been issued today for teachers and students in Shanghai. I have only heard the name of one school that has issued second round of PU letters, but will be having a few drinks on Friday with several friends in numerous schools. I have only returned to the forum to port accurate information to my fellow professionals.

If you are a new teacher heading into China I would place a cut off date for your arrival by the 14th August. If I school in can't give you a date for arrival around then you should be looking at plan B.

International schools generally open first week in September 31st Aug or Tuesday 1st Sep and Chines Private or Bilingual schools open first Monday in September which is the 7th. Schools generally like to give new staff 2 weeks settling in time before schools start and returning teachers 1 week.

8. tusoga47

tusoga47 New commenter

I have received my work permit notification, heading to the embassy next week to start the process

9. cupasoup28

cupasoup28 New commenter

Hi. Can I ask where in China you are returning to? My invitation letter was sent 7 weeks ago and we’re still waiting for a reply but I’m not in Shanghai or Beijing. How long did your application take? Thanks

10. amysdad

Process is that you first get notification from your school that you will be getting a letter, then you get the PU letter by email (this takes at least a week, sometimes longer.) The PU letter states which embassy will be issuing the letter, so if you are not in your home country make sure HR know this as if it's wrong, you'll either have to go home or wait until another letter is issued.

You then complete the application online then send it to the visa office nearest to you (provided it's open, of course.) You will then get an appointment to go and (the visa office tells me) will be issued with the visa.

Then the fun starts, when you try to (a) find a flight, and (b) figure out how much of a second mortgage you need to pay for it.....

11. february31st

Flights on Expedia for 1127USD one way but stop over in HK, total time of travel 37hour 45min! So you also need to book a room in the airport hotel for a nap to add to the cost.

Not sure how long HK will remain open to flight and if Shanghai will allow entry with the second wave hitting.

Also book your 14 day staycation in a government hotel on arrival in China, Shanghai may allow only 7 days if you pass a blood test. Don't forget to get written confirmation the school will pay for this for you and your dependents, at 1000USD each.

Don't forget to get written confirmation that the school will pay additional costs of blood tests for you and family before you board the aircraft and for when you are in China. People in UK have been given quotes of 250 GBP in the UK for blood tests and 250Euro in China.

A family of 4 with only one working member will be costing a school a small fortune to flyover, if the school is not paying for dependents it's an easy 3000USD/person by the looks of it.

12. amysdad

Yep - and even though they are advertised I don't think you can transit in HK at the moment anyway. The COVID test seems to be covered by most decent health insurance policies though. And you can't choose the hotel in Shanghai either - it's allocated on a first come first served basis, which means of course that the business class / first class passengers get the best hotels and the plebs at the back get the fleapits....

13. february31st

Some companies with deep pockets are paying 2500Euro per one way ticket into Shanghai on charter flights. Also talk of one way ticket prices into Shanghai on regular flights of 36000 to 70000rmb and thats for economy class seats.

14. cupasoup28

cupasoup28 New commenter

How long is it taking for people’s application to be approved? We had our documents sent 6 weeks ago and still waiting for a reply. We’ve been told it might be October before we’ll be able to get back.

15. guineastar

guineastar New commenter

I left my job in Zhejiang in Feb. Those that are still at the school (I would say less than 10% of the international staff) have been told that new international teachers won't be arriving until Christmas. However, my relative is due to start a job in Guangdong and has been told October. I think it varies from province to province and also on how much guanxi your employer has.

16. tusoga47

tusoga47 New commenter

I am going to shandong province.

17. cupasoup28

cupasoup28 New commenter

I am also in the same province. How long did you have to wait before you got approval?