1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teachers retirement agency retirement courses

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by ambi, Jun 5, 2019.

1. ambi

ambi New commenter

Just a quick query please - is there any entitlement to be allowed by school to go on one of these courses if you are retiring, bearing in mind it will cost the school the course fee ( approx £178) and any cover costs. Seems quite exorbitant to me and can sympathise if school has a tight CPD budget but just wondering if schools have any legal obligation to let employees go on these courses. Cheers

2. richest1

richest1 Occasional commenter

Costs about 150 quid rip off imo

3. paulstevenjones

paulstevenjones New commenter

No entitlement to time off whatsoever. Many of these are run in the evening for this reason. I cannot imagine any school paying for it either.

4. dancingqueen18

dancingqueen18 New commenter

Check if your union offers retirement courses. They are much cheaper or free. I went on one with my union on a Saturday that cost £50 and included lunch (old ATL) I found it very useful. Wesleyan also offer free courses.

5. TheFonze

TheFonze New commenter

Teachers Pensions have sent a notice out to schools and teachers regarding this company as below. Teachers Pensions provide access to free retirement planning courses through the Prudential approved by the DfE, and many teaching unions also run similar courses which are free or subsidised.

The 'Teachers Retirement Agency'
    It’s come to our attention that a number of companies, such as ‘Teachers’ Planning Retirement’ and the ‘Teachers Retirement Agency are offering seminars for teachers approaching retirement.

Please be aware that these seminars are not being delivered by Teachers’ Pensions, nor do we appoint companies to deliver the seminars on our behalf. Therefore, we aren’t responsible for any decisions you’ve made based on the advice you’ve been given by these companies.

The only member presentations we support are through the Prudential. If you'd like to contact them to enquire about member presentations you can do so via email on teachers.seminars@prudential.co.uk or telephone on 0800 0154614.

If you receive any queries from members, please advise them that these are not Teachers’ Pensions events and that we do not charge for any seminars that we deliver.

6. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

I went on one - it was excellent. School paid for it. I know plenty of people who have been on them.