1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers' reputation in social media

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by CorinaS, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Do you have any views on how self presentation in social media may promote or damage a teacher's career?

If you would like to share more and could spare about 30 min for an informal chat, please contact me at: corina@comp.lancs.ac.uk.

Any quick reply is much appreciated, as I need to complete this work before the 17th of July.

Many thanks

Corina

2. olderandwiser

olderandwiser Occasional commenter

"Any quick reply is much appreciated, as I need to complete this work before the 17th of July."

LOL. Your lousy time management is only going to get a hostile reception here, as will the very silly subject of your 'research'. If you had spent more time planning and preparing, you would know that all the sensible advice to teachers from every quarter is not to have any public-facing social media site of any kind.

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Whilst I'm sure that you have no malevolent intent.

I do think that you do need to state who you are; why you are gathering this information and what you intend to do with it.- together with some proof ,a web link to your academic dept for instance

The older members will recall that we have had journalist on the forums in past trying to "dig up dirt" so we are naturally wary of any "anonymous" approach

More helpfully, in the past I have strongly advised staff in schools not to have social media accounts. As it is far too easy to put up some inadvertent, ill thought through or easily mus-interpreted post that could have far reaching consequences for your career*. (regardless of any privacy settings you may think will prevent this)

As I realised that that was never going to happen I came up with two rules for them to follow

<ol>
    [*]Would your mother be proud of you
    [*]No Beer, No Balloons, No B**s
    </ol>
    * it is interesting just how many SMT trawl the 'net looking for mention of job candidates / current staff

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

And if you are doing any meaningful research you will need to select your respondents very much more carefully. People who respond from here would neither be representative nor random: how could you possibly say how valid or representative your data would be? Have you considered the ethical implications of your "informal chat" in terms of data protection and the like - and have you written an ethics statement?

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

6. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Though this may be a 'thing' of the younger teachers - old 45+ lags like myself still remember two important rules given to us in the past from our PGCE days;

1. Never live where you teach

2. You're an adult, they're kids, they are not 'friends'