1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teacher's pensions

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by estelleteresa1, Feb 17, 2020.

1. estelleteresa1

estelleteresa1 New commenter

I have been teaching for 20 years but had to leave and take up supply and haven't paid into my pension since end of Jan 2019. I really want to retire at 55 but as I am 49 it looks like I have to get a job in a school. I have tried but it is difficult at my age. Is there any way I can pay into my pension as I am still teaching?

2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Ring Teachers Pensions for advice. I have combined part-time teaching with supply through the LEA and have always paid contributions on my contracted hours as well as the supply teaching. Were you not given that option when you started supply?

3. estelleteresa1

No I was not. I only work through an agency and do not work for the LEA. I was told I could not pay into my pension whilst working through an agency. I work four days a week on maternity cover currently but am not paid by the school.

4. estelleteresa1

I will try to ring teachers pensions but fear I will.be told the same thing that I cannot pay into it whilst working through an agency.

5. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

You can only contribute when you are employed by the school. Save your equivalent money in a SIPP or ISA, and try to get a contract paid by the school. When you do, make sure you are in the scheme and buy some extra service with the money you have saved.

I don't know what KS you teach, but you could send your CV to local schools and offer your services as supply.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's exactly what you will be told. Teachers employed by an agency are legally barred from being in TPS. Only teachers who are employed directly by a state school or an LA (or by those private schools who have joined TPS) can pay into TPS. It's clearly stated on TPS website.

border_walker likes this.
  7. estelleteresa1

8. estelleteresa1

Yes the person above you put it more nicely. I have read it but it is a bit of a quagmire. But thanks anyway.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Sorry you've had to read it twice. I hadn't seen the previous post when I helped you.