1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teachers' Pensions one day seminars and webinars

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by steveanchor1357, Oct 30, 2019.

1. steveanchor1357

steveanchor1357 New commenter

Teachers' Pensions are running a programme of free one-day seminars across the country as well as webinars that guide teachers through changes to the Teachers' Pension Scheme. They are apparently endorsed and funded by the DfE so I am guessing that the advice should be up-to-date and reliable. They seem pretty popular as most of the seminars are already fully booked and they look like a good networking opportunity to share experiences with other teachers approaching retirement.

I wondered if other colleagues had been on any of the TP seminars or webinars? A few colleagues I know have been on privately-run courses before but told me that they were expensive and schools were reluctant to fund them. Also, many of them were actually run by financial advisors with the main thrust of the day being around investing your pension lump sum with them.

2. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

These sound good. My only comment is 'about time too!' There is a dearth of information around and ,imho, this forum has been my best information source by a long way.
    I must say the union sponsored talk I went on with Wesleyan advisors was excellent. It explained how my pension would be affected by taking it early. I went there with very little knowledge as I had always planned to keep working. I came to the conclusion quite suddenly that the job was getting intolerable and unsustainable and needed to get out. This talk, along with a forecast from the TPS website enabled me to work out my finances and , most importantly, to give me a way out.

Treacle3 and steveanchor1357 like this.
  3. steveanchor1357

I have heard similar positive feedback regarding Wesleyan. From what I know, their seminars are also free to attend and NASUWT approved, so again no issues with school budgets and the advice is sound and reliable. :)

4. Treacle3

Treacle3 New commenter

Totally agree... ABOUT TIME!!
    I went on an ATL/NEU one in December 2018 - which cost me £50 but was very informative and the "financial sales pitches" were low key with no pressure. It also crystallised my thinking into..."Yes, I'm going to retire from teaching this year for sure!" Which I did.

steveanchor1357 and eljefeb90 like this.
  5. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I like that phrase 'crystallised '. That's exactly it! Once you hit your mid fifties, the nebulous feeling that your career is petering out or, more usually , how much longer do I have to put up with this bs, starts to take a more concrete form.
    The finances take precedence before you make the leap and seeing the figures in black and white is like that 'Wanted Down Under' moment when they do their monthly balance sheet. With the added complication of some years of the career average scheme, it's essential for TPS to get its act together and educate its policy holders.

steveanchor1357 likes this.
  6. meister

meister New commenter

Are you sure about these? I think they are aimed at employers not teachers. Can you provide the link?

7. steveanchor1357

Apparently TP run their seminars for teachers in association with the Prudential, which I am told are free to attend and endorsed by DfE (email teachers.seminars@prudential.co.uk or call 0800 0154614).

The link for TP one-day seminars and webinars seems to be geared more towards head teachers and employers, but again are free for all teachers to attend (they looked mostly fully booked last time I checked!) The link is under the ‘training’ section of the TP website.

I am sure that many of the other teaching union courses are just as informative, Wesleyan etc.. but personally I would always check first to see who is running these courses. If they are approved by a teaching union or Teachers’ Pensions then it will be clearly stated on their website. If it’s not steer clear!

8. Canteloube

Canteloube New commenter

I would also add to anyone thinking of retiring to make sure that the finance office of the institution where they work send in the correct figures. I have just been notified by the TP agency that my pension has been overpaid for the last few months due to a clerical error in the original figures sent in by my previous employer. To add insult to injury I now have to pay back hundreds of pounds over the next few months. The original numbers looked perfectly OK to me when they were first sent out so this is unwelcome to say the least! I will not starve and will not suffer too much on a personal level but as I am struggling to adjust to retirement it feels like the fates are against me! Hey ho tomorrow is another day...

eljefeb90 likes this.